Old Dell Latitude D630 Booting Issues

TheLegit

Re: Old Dell Latitude D630 Booting Issues

#11 Post by TheLegit »

Alright. It's okay but thanks though. I'll just have to figure it out.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#12 Post by JayM »

You could try a web search for the exact text that appears on Windows' screen and see if you can find a solution. Good luck.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

TheLegit

#13 Post by TheLegit »

https://i.postimg.cc/bNxrFttS/08fig17.jpg- There we go, it looked something similar to this. Yeah almost exactly like this.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#14 Post by JayM »

I think hitting F8 will allow you to boot a last known good configuration, and F12 will let you run Dell's diagnostics. Otherwise you may have to reinstall Windows if you have the disk, although there may be a repair or recovery option on that disk's boot menu that will fix your current Windows installation.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

TheLegit

#15 Post by TheLegit »

Alright cool thanks a lot.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#16 Post by chrispop99 »

If you have run CCleaner, it has probably removed a vital registry entry. Sadly, that program often does more harm than good.

Whatever you decide to do now, you will first presumably want to recover any data on the machine. The best way to do that is to boot into MX Linux live, then copy over the data to a USB pen drive. An alternative if you are thinking of using an SSD is to remove the existing drive, replace with an SSD, then install MX Linux. You could then purchase a SATA to USB cable that would allow you to plug in your old HDD and recover data that way.

If the machine has a valid Windows 7 licence, you may be able to download a copy of Windows 7, and re-install it. Often, Dell licences are tied to their own version of Windows, so to start with you would be best to see if Windows 7 is downloadable from Dell. Have your service code handy, and you will be taken to the correct download area. If the service code label is unreadable, it can be found in the BIOS. (Tap F2 whilst starting to get there.) Bear in mind that Windows 7 will have no support soon.

Your existing disk is only 80GB; that would imply it was the original that came with the machine as drives that small have not been made for years. On that basis you should replace it in any case.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Huckleberry Finn

#17 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

TheLegit wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 pmI need to boot into the OS so I can backup all of the data on the Hard Drive
Hi again The Legit :)

Just don't worry, be calm. You won't lose any data at least.

First hit F8 (hold it) as told by JayM when Win is starting and try to start it in "safe mode". If it does, then hit the Super key (Win) and r together and type

Code: Select all

rstrui
and hit Enter. (typing rstrui.exe works, too)

(or from the Start Menu "System Restore" ). Once you manage to start it, look at the calendar there and go back, choose the soonest date when there was no problem.. proceed..

No matter you manage to do the above or not, just have an MX or Mint live usb (or dvd)..

Start the laptop with it (you may already know, but, when you power on, hit F2 and hold it to enter bios, then in advanced settings, move the usb (or cd/dvd, whichever you use) to the top rank. Save and exit, let the usb / dvd be attached and the machine will start with it)

Once you start the live session (no matter MX or Mint), open file manager and go to Windows drive (sda1) You'll see all files'n folders.. then find the folder USERS and under it the folder YourUserName.

Consequently, you can either copy-paste the whole USERS folder or only yours, furthermore, you can directly archive (compress) and save it to somewhere else (a usb stick will be the easiest solution, or external drive etc..)

You can archive right-clicking and say, select .7z for compatibility and good compression ratio , also.. Or copy-paste directly..

This way, you'll be in peace of mind no matter it starts or not. In addition, say you reformatted and reinstalled. You can copy-paste back your backup there and almost everything will be the same.. Documents, configurations etc..

Finally, you can even connect to internet on live session, and login here, and ask everything while you're backing up.. online..

To give and see full info about the pc (please) when you have done those, in MX you can open the Menu (start menu) and (type) Quick System Info . Once you open it, no need to select and copy, it will be copied into the clipboard automatically, just paste here.

Or, either in Mint or MX, just open a Terminal and type

Code: Select all

inxi -F
hit Enter, then select all, copy, paste.. (Finally, you can also find "System Info" in both distro's start Menus.)

P.S. Don't worry, I/We will describe how to install them all without any issues. Just not writing anymore for now, not to confuse.. You just complete the above for now...

Huckleberry Finn

#18 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

I saw the picture after typing all :) You can "start windows normally" .. and if it doesn't, then the F8 way above ...

TheLegit

#19 Post by TheLegit »

Hi, so I tried to do what you have suggested but all it did was go through a boot loop and go back to that same exact screen. When I selected the safe boot option, it showed a Linux-terminal like command line screen when it was loading all of the Windows drivers. But then it just went back to that same exact screen. What can I try now?
Thanks,
TheLegit

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#20 Post by JayM »

TheLegit wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:11 pm Hi, so I tried to do what you have suggested but all it did was go through a boot loop and go back to that same exact screen. When I selected the safe boot option, it showed a Linux-terminal like command line screen when it was loading all of the Windows drivers. But then it just went back to that same exact screen. What can I try now?
Thanks,
TheLegit
A web search for windows 7 boot loop turned this up
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 ... overy.html
If this doesn't work, I suggest you do that same web search and see if another solution fixes it for you.

Return to “General”