Repository [SOLVED]

mxmatrix

Repository [SOLVED]

#1 Post by mxmatrix »

I am new to MX, but used Mepis for long time, many years back. I find now MX has become far better than Mepis.

Would like to know, if there is any way to disable auto-selection / can we select from a list of repository servers ?
In Mint Linux there is an option, "not suggest to download from local mirror". Do we have anything like that in MX ?

These days I am living in some other country, considering the circumstances here, I would not like my software to be downloaded / updated from the local mirror.
What should I do ? I have already deselected the check boxes related to those servers in synaptic. But I am not sure if that is all that needs to be done. One thing I noticed, that after deselecting those mirrors, MX Package Installer was not able to find some applications. For example, earlier I could see PDF Mod in the list, but now it is not there. Any suggestion ?
Last edited by mxmatrix on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Repository

#2 Post by asqwerth »

Welcome.

Go here:
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/repos-mx-18/

and from Synaptic or Tab 3 of MX Repo Manager, restore all the repos to the way you found them, using the sources list in the above link as a guide.

The provided sources list may not be exactly the one you had because:
Note that users may see minor changes due to localization (e.g., http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ instead of http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/) or choice of mirror.

Then, in MX Repo Manager:
- Tab 1, where you can manually choose the mirrors you want for the MX repo mirrors.
- Tab 2, where you can search and enable the fastest Debian repos mirror (although fastest may not always mean most reliable or up-to-date). If Tab 2 doesn't give you a reliable Debian mirror you are happy with, go to Synaptic and replace the Debian mirror country prefix to one of your choice, say, from "th" (Thailand, which is a horrible Debian mirror) to "de" (Germany).

Reload your package lists in Synaptic (or use sudo apt update in terminal).

And yes, from the above you hopefully should have worked out that:
1. MX Repo Manager is the equivalent tool to Mint's repo chooser.
2. the MX official website, from which you can also access the manual and wiki, is a fount of great information.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

mxmatrix

#3 Post by mxmatrix »

Thanks. Will check those links and try.

mxmatrix

#4 Post by mxmatrix »

Thanks its done.

mxmatrix

#5 Post by mxmatrix »

How can I mark it solved ?

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

Edit the caption in your first post to add "[SOLVED]".
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “General”