Error message when trying to boot

zmeiq

Error message when trying to boot

#1 Post by zmeiq »

Hi guys,

First thing first - my problem concern ubuntu. Why I seek help here? A friend of mind told me this is the best linux community and ubuntu and MX are based on debian. So.. I hope I will find help here, if not - feel free to delete my post. But consider I'm in panic now.

The story - I have dual boot machine with ubuntu and win10. The laptop was in sleep state and when I opened it it froze for a long time with no indications to work. So I pressed the turn off button and rebooted it.

When it rebooted it showed error message for end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector . I tried to login from live usb and perform fsck and now I have this login screen.

https://ibb.co/PZ8DTrr

Is there any hope to log in again to save my passwords and other stuff that cannot be transferred with live usb.

Thanks in advance!

Huckleberry Finn

Re: Error message when trying to boot

#2 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

zmeiq wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pmconsider I'm in panic now.
The laptop was in sleep state
Hi zmeiq, Welcome,

just be calm, at least you can save your things or start Windows only..

As always, first remember to get (any distro) a live linux session and copy your Home folder to somewhere else to be in peace of mind.

To check the file system on your Ubuntu partition:

GRUB menu => Advanced Options => Recovery mode => Root access

at the # prompt, type sudo fsck -f / or sudo fsck -f /dev/sda4

repeat the fsck command if there were errors

type reboot

If for some reason you can't do the above:

boot to a Live DVD/USB
open a terminal window
type sudo fsck -f /dev/sda4
type reboot

also: https://askubuntu.com/questions/697190/ ... k-manually

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

Welcome, but please note that if you're running Ubuntu, you're running a cousin of Debian, while MX is more a child of Debian.

So this may not be the best place to seek advice for an Ubuntu system.

Have you tried MX Linux itself yet?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

zmeiq

#4 Post by zmeiq »

boot to a Live DVD/USB
open a terminal window
type sudo fsck -f /dev/sda4
type reboot
I have a message if I want to rebuild the defected blocks. Should I press 'yes'"?
So this may not be the best place to seek advice for an Ubuntu system.

Have you tried MX Linux itself yet?
Yes, on his machine. I consider moving to MX as soon as I fix the mess.. :(

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by JayM »

Just follow the on-screen prompts, run

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/sda4
and type Y at all of its prompts to fix things. Then back up your home directory, along with anything else you want to save, download the MX 18.3 iso, follow the instructions here to burn it to a USB stick, boot from that, install MX, then sit back and enjoy life. :smile:

Then if you have any questions, there's a very fine user manual that will probably answer most of them, plus the MX Wiki, and if all else fails you have this forum!
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

zmeiq

#6 Post by zmeiq »

JayM wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:10 am Just follow the on-screen prompts, run

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/sda4
and type Y at all of its prompts to fix things. Then back up your home directory, along with anything else you want to save, download the MX 18.3 iso, follow the instructions here to burn it to a USB stick, boot from that, install MX, then sit back and enjoy life. :smile:

Then if you have any questions, there's a very fine user manual that will probably answer most of them, plus the MX Wiki, and if all else fails you have this forum!
Guys,

I pressed "yes" multiple times to fsck command, rebooted and I see the logo of Kubuntu for about 2 minutes and after that only blinking cursor on upper left of black screen. No CPU activity and nothing happens.

I'm not able to connect to internet via recovery mode.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

That's your video card's driver not loading, and I can't help you with that except to say that as soon as you see the Kubuntu splash screen (the one with their logo) hit Escape so you can see your boot messages so you'll know the last one displayed before it fails. That will give you more information when you go and ask for help on Ubuntu's forum.

Does Ubuntu/Kubuntu have a safe mode or failsafe boot in its grub menu that boots with just VGA video? That's another option to let you at least get into the system and back up personal data, if *buntu offers that option.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#8 Post by Jerry3904 »

Sorry, but this thread is inappropriate for the MX Forum. MX support is for MX users, it's a strong feature of the distro.

Closing the thread.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”