privacy concerning "MX Linux OS"

uncle mark

Re: privacy

#11 Post by uncle mark »

I totally agree, I have met people who would get concerned about the government tapping into phones etc, when they splatter their life all over Facebook. Hypocrisy to the core.
Modified Hanlon's Razor:

"Don't attribute to hypocrisy what can be attributed to stupidity."
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Duliwi

#12 Post by Duliwi »

Please note:
I was not precise enough with the title of the thread. Many contributors have made comments on all privacy aspects related to the Internet and computers. But I was only interested in the privacy of the operating system "MX Linux".
If I would have privacy questions about other fields (outside the operating system), for example browsing the internet or using services or cloud, I would ask this in an other forum.
So in the meantime I have changed the titel.
AK-47 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:33 pm I could find nothing suspicious or concerning about either MX or antiX, no suspicious traffic sent over wire within the month I was conducting the audit.
Thank you. This is what I was asking for.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: privacy concerning "MX Linux OS"

#13 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Be careful with politics and all that, mind the forum rules.

viewtopic.php?p=255061#p255061
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#14 Post by JayM »

jackdanielsesq wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:20 am Oooooohhhh JayM .... :number1:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards

Jack
JayM wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:39 am
Eadwine Rose wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:36 am We'll just take your firstborn, nothing major ;)

In all seriousness, as far as I know there is nothing to fear from MX. :smile:
Except MX itself. :smile:
I was just paraphrasing Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Or was it Oingo Boingo?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

jackdanielsesq

#15 Post by jackdanielsesq »

LMAO ... you are one bad hombre
Regards
Jack

rs55

#16 Post by rs55 »

AK-47 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:33 pm Before seriously using MX Linux, I did my own security audit by using both MX and antiX in an environment where traffic to/from NICs and serial ports were tapped and logged. I spent quite some time sifting through that to see if there was anything suspicious, in particular the political bookmarks in antiX made me somewhat concerned about MX too. Coupled with the divisive happenings within the Linux kernel near the end of last year, I had my reasons to do this audit.

I could find nothing suspicious or concerning about either MX or antiX, no suspicious traffic sent over wire within the month I was conducting the audit. I did not check the wireless NICs, however that's quite an easy step and is beyond my use cases. As a disclaimer, my audit was not extensive by any stretch of the imagination, I think the only info that devs would see would be the server logs of the mirrors that some devs operate, used when downloading updates.
LnoyBoy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:07 pm Privacy? People should be more concerned about the information they are spreading all over the net VOLUNTARILY.
I totally agree, I have met people who would get concerned about the government tapping into phones etc, when they splatter their life all over Facebook. Hypocrisy to the core.
rs55 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:11 pmElectric tape over fingerprint reader ( not interested in treating myself like a felon!).
What do you expect this to mitigate? The fingerprint reader is meant to be a security feature, and if you don't want to use it, just don't use it.
Well, my logic on the fingerprint readers is - computers can get hacked - right? passwords can get stolen. If you discover that your password was stolen - you can change your password. Or go to a more secure solution like a physical key for 2FA.
If your fingerprint is stolen - its not that easy to change your fingerprint - is it?
And years from now when govts around the world have data bases of everyone's fingerprint and iris scan, maybe someone with access to your fingerprint can hack into all your accounts. And what can you do about it?
And what is the great attraction in the first place? I understand the novelty factor - for teenagers. But its not a great stressful and intellectually taxing endeavour to type in a 6 digit password.

JBoman

#17 Post by JBoman »

Heck, I don't find it stressful or taxing to type in 16 to 24 digit complex passwords that store only in the ram in my head. :popcorn:
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-18.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

rs55

#18 Post by rs55 »

privacy geeks will tell you there are 3 things that can be used to keep you secure:
- What you know ( passwords)
- What You have ( physical keys)
- What you are ( fingerprint, iris scan, DNA ...)

I disagree. I proceed on the basis that everything can be hacked/compromised. If my password is stolen - I can change it, if my key is stole - I can replace it, but ...... if my physical cellular info is stolen , there is not a thing I can do about it.
And all the folks casually scanning in their fingerprints all over the place ( including cellphones) have to consider the possibility that 5 years from now when they go for a job interview or to collect social security , they are rejected because someone with that fingerprint was running guns in the middle east or something.

richb
Administrator

#19 Post by richb »

This has veered off topic with posts not addressing the OP's question. about privacy on MX Linux. Get back on topic please.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “General”