privacy concerning "MX Linux OS"

Duliwi

privacy concerning "MX Linux OS"

#1 Post by Duliwi »

How is it about privacy in MX Linux?

The main reason I want to change to MX Linux is, because I am worried about the privacy in Windows 10.

(There are also Linux distributions which are not very good for privacy. For example Ubuntu? I guess. Or I assume also Linux Mint, as it is based of Ubuntu.)

What personal data does MX Linux collect?
Last edited by Duliwi on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterpeace

Re: privacy

#2 Post by masterpeace »

afaik This Ubuntu-taking-personal-data-fiasco is a company decision (what do you call it Canon..thing) , regardless what ubuntu community said . idk About mint since it doesn't work as i hoped it will be so i ditched it after installing , but so far i haven't found data mining or indication to do so from MX ... yet and i hope it won't .

You can rest assured MX Linux wiil mine nothing from you .

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#3 Post by Eadwine Rose »

We'll just take your firstborn, nothing major ;)

In all seriousness, as far as I know there is nothing to fear from MX. :smile:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:36 am We'll just take your firstborn, nothing major ;)

In all seriousness, as far as I know there is nothing to fear from MX. :smile:
Except MX itself. :smile:
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#5 Post by chrispop99 »

Regardless of operating system, your privacy concerns should mainly be directed at any web sites you visit.

There are plenty of add-ons for Firefox and others to reduce your exposure, and you should research what are the best options for you.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

mxer

#6 Post by mxer »

Pure Debian base - unlike Ubuntu, which is a commercial product, & has its own interests. :cool:
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

sg-1

#7 Post by sg-1 »

Privacy does not exist.
Any operating system installed on the computer considered anti-privacy par excellence. To be sure or almost the chosen system should not use the Internet on this PC. We look for privacy in systems, then we use Facebook Twitter Instagram etc.

LnoyBoy

#8 Post by LnoyBoy »

Privacy? People should be more concerned about the information they are spreading all over the net VOLUNTARILY.

rs55

#9 Post by rs55 »

MXLinux, Firefox ESR, ProtonMail. Electric tape over the little camera on laptop. No self-goals ( Amazon, Google devices etc). Electric tape over fingerprint reader ( not interested in treating myself like a felon!). I can type.
All sensitive data on separate encrypted folder and backed up physically ( not cloud).

Follow the NY Times rule - dont do anything on a browser you would'nt want on the front page of the NYT.

I think thats a reasonable approach, without being too paranoid.

AK-47
Developer

#10 Post by AK-47 »

Before seriously using MX Linux, I did my own security audit by using both MX and antiX in an environment where traffic to/from NICs and serial ports were tapped and logged. I spent quite some time sifting through that to see if there was anything suspicious, in particular the political bookmarks in antiX made me somewhat concerned about MX too. Coupled with the divisive happenings within the Linux kernel near the end of last year, I had my reasons to do this audit.

I could find nothing suspicious or concerning about either MX or antiX, no suspicious traffic sent over wire within the month I was conducting the audit. I did not check the wireless NICs, however that's quite an easy step and is beyond my use cases. As a disclaimer, my audit was not extensive by any stretch of the imagination, I think the only info that devs would see would be the server logs of the mirrors that some devs operate, used when downloading updates.
LnoyBoy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:07 pm Privacy? People should be more concerned about the information they are spreading all over the net VOLUNTARILY.
I totally agree, I have met people who would get concerned about the government tapping into phones etc, when they splatter their life all over Facebook. Hypocrisy to the core.
rs55 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:11 pmElectric tape over fingerprint reader ( not interested in treating myself like a felon!).
What do you expect this to mitigate? The fingerprint reader is meant to be a security feature, and if you don't want to use it, just don't use it.

Return to “General”