[SOLVED] Mx doesn't close  [Solved]

calixtus06

Re: Mx doesn't close

#11 Post by calixtus06 »

the scrolling scriptures are now filthy and huge but the computer goes out completely

Huckleberry Finn

#12 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

You can remove Plymouth also in terminal with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove plymouth
Reboot

In fact, you don't have to uninstall it, instead you can disable from start. But the reason I suggest this, is to make it sure. This way it won't try to start at shut-down also... (Anytime you can install again with the same command with the word install in place of remove. Also your plymouth themes and configuration will stay as you don't "purge" it.. )

(Meanwhile, currently installed packages in MXPI are unchecked but "greyed out" , so you need to tick grey colored ones and hit uninstall / remove... if you try again, just in the stable repo, you'll see the name with one word plymouth.. No need to remove others for now (maybe you'd like to install back, so let the themes stay.)... anyway, the above command is simpler and enough for now)

Nvidia takes place of Nouveau automatically, you don't need to find it. But in case of any issues, tell here and you can uninstall Nvidia and turn back to Nouveau with a simple command, (I'll tell if you need)..

P.S. If you install the 4.9.189 kernel, too, you'll find it in sub-menu in Grub (advanced boot options) - (since there'll be higher ones installed, the original 4.19 and 5.2.8 etc..).. You can open the sub-menu and choose it to start with and see if it's any better in all aspects... Also, in case of any problems when trying the new kernels (black screen etc.) you can restart and choose the working ones (i.e. the default 4.19...) in Grub menu...

calixtus06

#13 Post by calixtus06 »

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:21 am Hi Nico, can you try these and give feedback?
  • Try if something changes if you shut down with command-line:

sudo init 0
  • Uninstall Plymouth in MX Package Installer (If you don't necessarily want / like splash)
  • Install the appropriate Nvidia Driver (MX Tools => Nvidia Driver .. ) ( as it looks currently ):

Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA G96M [GeForce GT 120M] ... driver: nouveau
  • Try newest 5.2.8 or the latest LTS 4.9.189 kernel(s) from Stable Repo in MX Package Installer
    (Check both files that begin like: linux-headers-5.2.8-antix... and linux-image-5.2.8-... ) then hit "install"
I finally took the time to install the kernel 5. bidulle but the computer fails to boot on

Huckleberry Finn

#14 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Ok, as described above, you can start with 4.19 and this time install 4.9.189 and start with it. In fact, that one is supposed to work best with old pcs... (You can also uninstall 5... the same way you installed it.. when you're running with other kernels, check again the same 2 files -...image.. ...headers...- , hit remove /uninstall... )

So, what's the last situation with the shut-down? Is it ok and without strange things on screen?

calixtus06

#15 Post by calixtus06 »

hi, yes this is ok now ! great ! and thank you very much

Huckleberry Finn

#16 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

:number1: Glad to hear that. You're welcome.

So, maybe you edit your first post (pencil icon) and add [SOLVED] to the title..?

calixtus06

#17 Post by calixtus06 »

Almost !! Mx closes but now I've some graphic bug : all is blocked during a moment , sometimes a long moment. How can I reset " Nouveau" ?

Huckleberry Finn

#18 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

ddm-mx -p nvidia
will purge it out. will be back to using nouveau..

But first you can have a look which's your current driver ( I mean, maybe it's already nouveau and you need nvidia..?) :

inxi -G

By the way, what's the current kernel? 4.9.... ?

You can also turn off swapping :

sudo swapoff -a
or make it smaller i.e. add this line to the end of /etc/sysctl.conf

vm.swappiness=10
Last edited by Huckleberry Finn on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

calixtus06

#19 Post by calixtus06 »

Thanks ! It was Nvdia who was used with the command line above

Huckleberry Finn

#20 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

So, did removing work?

Oh, I just noticed this thread. Although yours is not flickering, this one is useful, thanks to Eadwine:

viewtopic.php?f=108&p=526651#p526651

Return to “General”