MX-18.3 RC1 Feedback

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: MX-18.3 RC1 Feedback

#11 Post by chrispop99 »

Tested live and installed with no issues on 32-bit, 64-bit legacy, and 64-bit UEFI machines. On UEFI machine, created a snapshot ISO, made a live USB, and that booted OK also.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Adrian
Developer

#12 Post by Adrian »

Are there any specific tests that you wish done?
We are looking for any reports regarding the installer since it got a considerable update, also anything related to the kernel. Those are the main changes.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#13 Post by dolphin_oracle »

skidoo wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:12 am Probably causes no harm but, for the environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS,
the directory /usr/share is listed twice.

mabye the pathstring is being appended twice, by these?
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/20flatpak
/etc/profile.d/flatpak.sh
hmmm... we will have to look into the later version of flatpak to see if that's been addressed.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#14 Post by dolphin_oracle »

skidoo wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:42 am not a regression, just something I noticed while livebooting MX-18.3 RC1:

Although /var/cache/apt-xapian-index.* is mentioned in /usr/local/share/mx-snapshot-exclude.list
same is absent from the persist-save-exclude.list

The index is 90megabytes (tested, tar.xz compresses it to 50MB)
That's quite a chunk of (probably inexplicable to a casual user) first-run bloat toward filling the persistence savefile.
Considering that the much smaller /var/cache/apt/*.bin files are already among the default exclusions, seems like the xapian index should be listed also (even if the shipped list has that line outcommented by default).
if you don't leave the apt-xapian-index file in place, it gets rebuilt every time you access synaptic, which is slow and the quick search box doesn't work until its rebuilt.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

figueroa

#15 Post by figueroa »

chrispop99 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:48 am It's already on the Welcome screen.
Many new users would benefit from having a shortcut to the manual on their desktop. The failure to find and read the manual is epidemic. Saying so is really out of scope for RC1 feedback, but, what the heck.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

skidoo

#16 Post by skidoo »

I haven't recently checked whether the index file(s) get rebuilt with first apt update operation (or first synaptic launch)? In either case, as is, it presents a memory overhead double-whammy during toram livesession ~~ a copy of the index from the linuxfs + another copy in the upper overlayfs layer. Shrug, earmark it as an item to be mentioned within a "tweaks/optimizations" article.
which is slow
The most notable "slow" (same noticed in recent antiX buster alpha) seems to be attributable to rebuilding manpage cache -- in 47 languages -- pursuant to each package install//upgrade transaction. The second most noticable (to me) finger-drumming, thumb-twiddling slowness is related, it stems from the default Acquire-Languages apt preference causing redownloading of translations during each apt update operation.

The front-end dialog for dpkg-reconfigure locales lacks a "(de)select All" (and a "you must select at least one" control) and is tedious to navigate. A first-run wrapper toward facilitating
1) English-only users: quick dpkg-reconfigure locales and set Acquire-Languages::None
2) apt install localepurge
...could significantly improve the user experience

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#17 Post by chrispop99 »

figueroa wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:06 pm
chrispop99 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:48 am It's already on the Welcome screen.
Many new users would benefit from having a shortcut to the manual on their desktop. The failure to find and read the manual is epidemic. Saying so is really out of scope for RC1 feedback, but, what the heck.
Users dismiss the welcome screen, and would remove or ignore a link to the manual, in just the same way. It's a problem for many forums and other help resources that doesn't have a simple solution I'm afraid.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Gerson

#18 Post by Gerson »

When I went to install to replace MX 18.2 and try, I get this message for the root partition:
Partition-info fatal error: device /dev/ is not a black device
And I could not continue.
I downloaded ISO RC1 without problem, the sums match.
Last edited by Gerson on Wed May 22, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

skidoo

#19 Post by skidoo »

@figueroa
FYI, across several releases, I've repeatedly made that identical suggestion.
All ya can do is lead the horse to water...

overheard chuckling:
something about a camel

skidoo

#20 Post by skidoo »

We are looking for any reports regarding the installer since it got a considerable update, also anything related to the kernel.
Oops, I obviously missed that detail until now {blush}

Return to “General”