Trying re-install xfce [Solved]

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Trying re-install xfce

#11 Post by JayM »

figueroa wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:36 pm
mkbdd wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 pm But the problem is user2’s Home directory stay empty like nothing. Of course I still can access the user1 Home directory (where I store all my files) when I log in as user1 but the problem with its DE still exist right? I hope you get what I’m saying.
Copy the files you want, but not the hidden files (those that begin with a .) from user1 to user2. When you are happy with the results, then you are done. Or, if you are really happy, then you can remove user1.
Except he said that his user2's home directory is empty.

mkbdd, can you run System/Disk Usage Analyzer and see how much free space there is on root (if your messed-up system will let you run it? If not, open a terminal if you can and run

Code: Select all

baobab
or

sudo baobab
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

figueroa

#12 Post by figueroa »

JayM wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:50 pm Except he said that his user2's home directory is empty.
He did not mean EMPTY. He meant that it didn't have his user1 files in user2. If it was really empty, the XFCE desktop would not load.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

mkbdd

#13 Post by mkbdd »

All right, this is probably my fault.
user2’s Home directory stay empty like nothing.
what I mean by that is my user2' Home directory stay have a standard folder like "first install" But my current files and document isn't there.

I can still access ALL my files when I log in as user1 and using another DE to navigate (oh, now I installed gnome and LXDE too) like normal use.

mkbdd

#14 Post by mkbdd »

Thank's figueroa for the help
He did not mean EMPTY. He meant that it didn't have his user1 files in user2. If it was really empty, the XFCE desktop would not load.
it is true what he said Jay

mkbdd

#15 Post by mkbdd »

so, How about copy files between different users?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#16 Post by JayM »

You said it was empty, meaning that there were no Documents, Desktop, Downloads, etc. directories. I was just going by the information I was given. (Why would you expect your own personal data files to be in another user's home directory?)

Log in as root. Open Thunar and navigate to /home/user1 then select the directories you wish to copy such as Documents, Music, Videos, etc. and choose Copy.

Navigate to /home/user2 and paste.

Open a terminal and run

chown -R user2:user2 *
where "user2" is the user name of the second user account you created.

Log out and back in as user2.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

mkbdd

#17 Post by mkbdd »

You said it was empty, meaning that there were no Documents, Desktop, Downloads, etc. directories. I was just going by the information I was given. (Why would you expect your own personal data files to be in another user's home directory?)
I'm sorry Jay it's me, we cool right? :happy: :happy:
I'm just panic at that momment

Thank's again for your help and figueroa of course...

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#18 Post by JayM »

No prob, it just threw me off the track. I was thinking you had bigger issues than you do, maybe a full root partition.

After running as your user2 for a few days, if you don't have any more problems and you're sure you have everything you need data-wise from the user1 home directory you can go ahead and delete your user1 account and its home directory from within User manager, which is found inside the MX Tools application. (Menu: MX Tools/MX Tools) which will tidy up your OS by not having a broken user account still hanging around as well as free up some disk space.

figueroa

#19 Post by figueroa »

JayM wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 am Log in as root. Open Thunar and navigate to /home/user1 then select the directories you wish to copy such as Documents, Music, Videos, etc. and choose Copy.
Ordinarily, no need to log in as root. Consistent with default user file permissions, user2 can usually copy user1's data by just navigating to /home/user1. Copy from terminal or using the file manager.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

mkbdd

#20 Post by mkbdd »

figueroa wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:55 pm
JayM wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 am Log in as root. Open Thunar and navigate to /home/user1 then select the directories you wish to copy such as Documents, Music, Videos, etc. and choose Copy.
Ordinarily, no need to log in as root. Consistent with default user file permissions, user2 can usually copy user1's data by just navigating to /home/user1. Copy from terminal or using the file manager.
Right, no need to log in as root using gksudo Thunar or something else.
Just simply copy and paste as usual. So far everything goes fine. Thanks to you all guys.

Return to “General”