Just saw dolphin's blog post on systemd-shim

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: Just saw dolphin's blog post on systemd-shim

#31 Post by timkb4cq »

Yes. You can run antiX on the Buster repos and there have been some pretty successful early work on transferring that to MX. It's nowhere near ready for public testing yet but there is definitely a functioning desktop.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#32 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 pm
asqwerth wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:49 am antiX and MX CAN just run SOLELY on sysV in Debian Buster (without any systemd packages)
As I mentioned earlier, if I try to run Debian buster with either sysvinit or runit-init then the graphical desktop does not work — no keyboard or mouse/touchpad inputs are possible at all and a hard reset is needed to get out of X.

I managed to get a functional graphical desktop by adding my user to the input group but this would not be a solution that MX could use.

So even if the shim was working and systemd & sysvinit could be co-installed then the graphical desktop would only be usable under systemd.

Have the developers managed to get input devices working on a Debian buster based box with sysvinit running as PID1?
**edit** see tim's note above
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Head_on_a_Stick

#33 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Excellent news, thanks for the information :happy:
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

Artim

#34 Post by Artim »

manyroads wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:26 pm
Jan K. wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:03 pm Break free and join forces with Salix OS and Slackware....
And no one will ever be able to install the software... :p :eek: :needcoffee:
I have enjoyed a couple of flirtations with SalixOS ("Linux for Lazy Slackers"), and even this non-techy technophobe was able to easily install and remove software using their slapt-get interface which looks and acts very much like Synaptic Package Manager! And they have a slack-build app called "Sourcery" that even creates slackware-compatible stuff that isn't in the repos - all from a GUI for us simple folk.

I know it's probably a lot to hope for, but I would absolutely love to see MX devs and Salix devs get together and learn from each other, since both distros seem to have the same mission. If and when systemd becomes unavaoidable in MX (and maybe even antiX God forbid), a hugely improved SalixOS that can use MX's awesome tools would be awesome for those of us not-very-technical users who want to avoid systemd for as long as possible.

Return to “General”