Waterfox Migration (For Firefox add-ons certificate bug refugees)

calinb

Waterfox Migration (For Firefox add-ons certificate bug refugees)

#1 Post by calinb »

I'm starting a new thread in response to this Firefox bug thread being locked by mods:
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=50081

I believe that installing Waterfox is the best "bug fix" to address the Firefox bug! I've not been happy with Mozilla's / Firefox's add-on strategy and management (user controls and "forceware") for a long time and now you can count me as a new Waterfox fan after my first install. I simply told the Waterfox installer to import from Firefox and, low and behold, even my add-ons were up and running again on my first launch of Waterfox. A couple of preferences required re-setting (including a few quick terminal copy commands to restore my previous Firefox tabs on launch) but it took me far less time that it took me to review and reject the options to try to fix Firefox. (I'm certainly not willing to let Firefox snoop my system to obtain a test fix for something as simple as a certificate snafu--even for the brief period allegedly required to obtain the pre-release fix!) A final bug fix is presently pathetically overdo, given the bug as it was publicly reported .

I just used:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install waterfox
to install it.

My add-ons, history, bookmarks and forms were ported-over automatically after telling the Waterfox installer to import from Firefox. The only thing I had to do was to get Waterfox to restore my tabs upon lauch. Make sure you enable this feature in Waterfox "preferences" first, if you used it in Firefox. Then simply terminate both Firefox and Waterfox and copy a few files (save backups first, just in case). You'll need to find your specific hidden directory paths but here's what I did (I hope no typos):

Code: Select all

cp ~/.waterfox/2pazrqd.default/sessionstore.jsonlz4 ~/.waterfox/2pazrqd.default/sessionstore.jsonlz4.bak
cp -r ~/.waterfox/2pazrqd.default/sessionstore-backups ~/.waterfox/2pazrqd.default/sessionstore-backups.bak
cp ~/.mozilla/firefox/bztufw4l.default/sessionstore.jsonlz4 ~/.waterfox/2pazrqd.default/sessionstore.jsonlz4
rm -fr ~/.waterfox/2pazrqd.default/sessionstore-backups
cp ~/.mozilla/firefox/bztufw4l.default/ ~/.waterfox/2pazrqd.default/
The above copy stuff is not needed, unless you care about your previous Firefox tabs being restored in Waterfox.

I used <ctl+d> to save some bookmarks and did not experience this problem:
viewtopic.php?p=500586#p500586

Recommended!
https://www.waterfox.net/
https://www.waterfox.net/blog/waterfox- ... -download/

I think Mozilla is turning into Microsoft, with the clear belief that it knows best what is best for users!

Please post your experiences and opinions here--both good and bad.

Thanks!
Last edited by calinb on Sun May 05, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calinb

Re: Waterfox Migration (For Firefox add-ons certificate bug refugees)

#2 Post by calinb »

In the interest of being "fair and balanced" and believing that Linux OS users should do their own research and make up their own minds, I also submit for your consideration:
https://www.howtogeek.com/335712/update ... -basilisk/

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Keep in mind that the Waterfox in the MX repo, as elsewhere, is 64-bit only. 32-bit users do get Pale Moon, also in our main repo.

calinb

#4 Post by calinb »

Stevo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 pm Keep in mind that the Waterfox in the MX repo, as elsewhere, is 64-bit only. 32-bit users do get Pale Moon, also in our main repo.
Thanks, Stevo! I'd not thought about that, even though I boot an old 32-bit Atom netbook with 32-bit MX occasionally. At least Mozzila.org says 66.0.4 is being pushed to fix it now and hopefully the MX package will be ready by the next time I need to boot my netbook.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05 ... n-firefox/

handy

#5 Post by handy »

I very recently dug out an old 2007 24" iMac (first of the aluminium jobs), that has not been used since 2012. It used to run Arch & later on Manjaro. The Sony optical drive failed (apple wanted a fortune for the part at the time, like $600- ! & they wouldn't sell the part, I would have had to pay them at $125/hr to put it in), so I bought an external Buffalo brand (burner too) for $28- !!! The problem that came with the external CD/DVD drive, I found, was that I could no longer install Linux from it. :(

Anyway, when I got to the machine again recently, pushing 7 years later, I found that I could boot from a USB stick. :D & that I could install antiX on it & now it is all of those good things better than it ever was (so much quicker too).

blah, blah, blah. ;)

I'm running Waterfox on it, & it is great. I can run the add-ons that I like & all that stuff, & thus far it just works. I too downloaded & installed directly from the Waterfox site. I use Waterfox & the Iridium-Browser on my main notebook, lately more Waterfox than Iridium too.

/blah
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

jackdanielsesq

#6 Post by jackdanielsesq »

Good work ...

Cannot add new bookmarks in WF - also mentioned in viewtopic.php?f=94&t=50081
Anyone with a workaround?

Regards

Jack

calinb

#7 Post by calinb »

jackdanielsesq wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:05 am Good work ...

Regards

Jack
Okay...there does seem to be some kind of bug. I can't choose to initially place the bookmark in my imported folder structure, because my previous folders from the Firefox import don't show up, but they do show up in the "Library" window. Try using <ctl+d> to save the bookmark to "Other Bookmarks" and afterwards use <ctl+shift+O> to open your bookmarks library. You can then copy the bookmark wherever you want it (usually from "Recent Bookmarks). At least that's how I'm saving bookmarks in WF.
Last edited by calinb on Mon May 06, 2019 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

calinb

#8 Post by calinb »

handy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 am<snip>
Anyway, when I got to the machine again recently, pushing 7 years later, I found that I could boot from a USB stick. :D & that I could install antiX on it & now it is all of those good things better than it ever was (so much quicker too).
My wife's Mac is an aluminium unibody MacBook from 2008. I installed MX from a USB stick as you did. I ported all her mail from Apple mail to Thunderbird. After MX-17 (now dist-upgraded to MX18) proved to be very usable on it, I upgraded it to 4GB of RAM and installed a new battery. She says it's good to go another 10+ years now!

JeffA

#9 Post by JeffA »

jackdanielsesq wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:05 am Good work ...

Regards

Jack
Maybe this will help: https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... ks_issues/

I had to do this:
about:profiles

1. open the root directory

2. quit Waterfox

3. set aside places.sqlite (move it to your desktop, maybe)

4. start Waterfox
It seems to have fixed my bookmarks, but apparently I'll have to re-enter any auto log-ins (like this forum) and any saved passwords.

handy

#10 Post by handy »

I don't have a problem with bookmarks. I imported an HTML file backup from another browser & the bookmark structure was maintained. I've also told WF to use the menu bar so I can access my bookmarks (& the other stuff) from the menu across the top. I'm old fashioned like that... :)
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Return to “General”