VPNs and MX

dolphin_oracle
Developer

VPNs and MX

#1 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Quick question for the community:

What, if any, VPN are you using? And do you have to boot systemd to use their proprietary utility if they have one?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

Re: VPNs and MX

#2 Post by richb »

I use Private Internet Access. I am using there legacy version. Their latest version only runs under systemd. Since I do not use systemd I do not use that version.
I reached out to their customer service and they basically indicated they have no specific plans to support sysvinit. They did have some vague statement saying they constantly look to expand their system to work on as many systems as possible. Which to me is advertising speak.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

uitzending

#3 Post by uitzending »

I use Mullvad. It works really well, is dirt cheap, and best of all the graphical/terminal interface is written in Rust and available in a GitHub repository. However the unfortunate part is the application is only compatible with Systemd, but you can use the OpenVPN profiles and it works fine on MX.
---- :anispider2: ----

"Be curious. Read widely. Try new things. What people call intelligence just boils down to curiosity." -Aaron Swartz

Caesar2

#4 Post by Caesar2 »

none
[><]

mr_dashi

#5 Post by mr_dashi »

I've used NordVPN for 3 years now. Never had a dropped tunnel using NetworkManager and importing a NordVPN config file. Their servers change from time to time so I need to download a fresher server config file once in awhile. It's not a huge hassle, but their CLI Linux program works slick on another systemd distro I run. I don't believe more advanced tools that Nord offers like CyberSec can be used without their systemd dependent software? I just stick with sysvinit in MX and config through NetworkManager.

timkb4cq
Developer

#6 Post by timkb4cq »

uitzending wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:45 pm I use Mullvad. It works really well, is dirt cheap, and best of all the graphical/terminal interface is written in Rust and available in a GitHub repository. However the unfortunate part is the application is only compatible with Systemd, but you can use the OpenVPN profiles and it works fine on MX.
On github, Mullvad has both systemd & upstart service files so I don't think it's tied to systemd. A simple init.d service file shouldn't be hard to write...
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by ChrisUK »

vpnbook (OpenVPN) no utility needed... runs and setup easily through networkmanager
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

handy

#8 Post by handy »

The same as richb - Private Internet Access (PIA), older classic version that doesn't need systemd. It works great, I'm still a very happy customer. :)
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

wulf

#9 Post by wulf »

Air "eddie client" with sysvinit

ludolph

#10 Post by ludolph »

NordVPN is one of best, but just few days ago they upgraded their very sophisticated CLI tool to version 3.0 and stoped sysVinit support.

This fact is a bit scary, because sooner or latter will be necessary use systemd to be compatible with all that new apps.

Return to “General”