What init system do you use on MX, the default (sysVinit) or systemd?

What init system do you use on MX, the default (sysVinit) or systemd?

default (sysVinit)
88%
systemd
6%
sometimes one, sometime other
3%
what is an init system?
3%

Total votes: 126

asqwerth
Developer

Re: What init system do you use on MX, the default (sysVinit) or systemd?

#11 Post by asqwerth »

My Void Linux installation uses runit as the init, but since I'm not knowledgeable about inits, I had to read up from their Wiki and forum on what symlinks to add and where, in order to get printing and scanning (this was separate from printing services) services working.

I wouldn't want that sort of DIY system for MX.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

KBD

#12 Post by KBD »

When I first heard about it and saw the uproar over systemd I was neutral as I didn't expect it to affect me. But as it rolled out into and through Ubuntu and its derivatives I started having issues, namely--slow boot. Then you get to run systemd analyze-blame. systemd is a behemoth that swallows up an OS, and when it screws up it affects lots of other systems. It needs to die a quick death.
Interesting that there is no sysVinit analyze-blame, at least I don't know of such a command and have never needed one for MX.

TerryL

#13 Post by TerryL »

1) The default works just fine

2) Systemd works just fine too, or loads of other distros wouldn't be using it, but

3) I worry about anything that burrows it's way so deeply into into so many parts of the system

4) Call me old fashioned, but I still think the original Unix idea of small, apps or programs or whatever you want to call them these days that do ONE thing, do it well, but can be strung together (or piped) to do a wide variety of more complex actions still has merit.

skidoo

#14 Post by skidoo »

Interesting that there is no sysVinit analyze-blame, at least I don't know of such a command and have never needed one for MX.
The bootlog contains millisecond-accurate timestamped entries.
If you're interested a graphic-y report, visit https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/boot-parameters/ and search in page for "bootchart"

For an example of what the bootchart output looks, check out the image attached to a post in this antixforum topic:
https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic ... ntix-boot/
(searching @antixforum for "bootchart" will also find other posted examples)

Jamesthedisciple

#15 Post by Jamesthedisciple »

I like the Gentoo (and BSD) OpenRC with sysVinit

The one thing (of many) that I don't like about systemd is, as far as i know, not had a full security audit.
Life isn't a mystery to be solved but a reality to be experienced
We are spiritual beings having a human experience

mxer

#16 Post by mxer »

I use whatever a distro comes with, but prefer the old way, as I haven't a clue about systemd, but don't like having 'all your eggs in one basket', which is what systemd is aiming for - just like MS Registry, far too complex.

I do use a distro with systemd, it is Raspbian, used on my ARM based RPi SOCs, but I'm looking into finding a better O/S for them, possibly TinyCore, but I've been Debian based for a long time now, old habits die hard.
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

Gaer Boy

#17 Post by Gaer Boy »

I voted sysVinit - I have booted sytemd a few times to see what difference it made. I found nothing significant.

Phil

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

handy

#18 Post by handy »

I've loved using OpenRC; SysV, Runit, on their various home distros & on the BSD's; plus whatever the Amiga OS & the Mac OS prior to OS/X & OS/X too, use.

There have also been some other inits from wierd OS's that I can't remember, & of course whatever Haiku is using.

I've known what the various OS's listed above that I say I don't remember or know are. It is just that my memory is trashed by the raviges of the aging process. So there you go.

The thing in this post that is most important to me, at least - is that if MX ever makes systemd its default, then I am gone elsewhere on the very day that I hear the news.

Long live ALL of the alternatives to systemd!
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

esbeeb

snaps require systemd

#19 Post by esbeeb »

I'm probably going to get hated on for saying this, but there are a few snaps that I really like, such as obs-studio (as in the latest/very recent version, 23), electron-mail, and wire. So I need to manually boot into systemd to install and use those.
Esbeeb
MX 21

Paul..

Re: snaps require systemd

#20 Post by Paul.. »

esbeeb wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:48 am I'm probably going to get hated on for saying this...
Naw...the Dev team is just trying to understand how many people are using the systemd boot option vs. the default sysVinit

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

Return to “General”