Re: An Epiphany of sorts

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Thanks sunrat! :happy:
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

sunrat wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:13 pm I've used noatime for / since I first got an SSD 8 years ago after reading the optimisation guides at the time. It doesn't save any noticeable time, seconds per year would be optimistic. I still use it as I don't need atime on my personal computer. And atime is unlikely to wear out a modern SSD anyway, some of which have been tested to have petabytes of write endurance.
Recent advice seems to be that using discard can be detrimental for some SSDs. It's better to run fstrim weekly with a cron job (or systemd timer).
MX will already trim SSD drives automatically.

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb »

A cron job can be used for sysvinit boot to run fstrim.
By default MX sets up a cron job to run fstrim once per week. The log is in /var/log/trim.log.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

sunrat

#14 Post by sunrat »

richb wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:55 pm
A cron job can be used for sysvinit boot to run fstrim.
By default MX sets up a cron job to run fstrim once per week. The log is in /var/log/trim.log.
Stevo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:52 pm MX will already trim SSD drives automatically.
Excellent! I didn't know that.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#15 Post by JayM »

crazysquirrel wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:46 am I guess you all can see WHY I need Multisystem now?

Oh and I finally got it working on my system. Had to use synaptic to download somesuch thing or another. And add the account to admin,
Multisystem isn't a need, it's one of several solutions that fill a need. The need that it (and easy2boot) solves is to be able to boot multiple operating systems from a disc or USB stick.

Now that you have it working, I hope you plan to stop shouting I NEED MULTISYSTEM in your signature every time you post. That's very annoying, particularly when there's a perfectly good package request forum in which to ask for apps (which I notice that you never did, even though I advised you to do that weeks ago when you first posted. I see that Richard in fact made the request for Multisystem for you.)
Last edited by JayM on Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

asqwerth
Developer

#16 Post by asqwerth »

As for why mint seems slower or heavier than MX, one key reason is that they are hampered by their Ubuntu base, which is just overall slower and heavier on resource use.

This has been the case for some time. Up to end 2014, I was using an old dell pentium 4 with one gig ram. Any Ubuntu-based distro starting from the 14.04 release (I only tested so-called lighter ones like lubuntu or xubuntu, elementary, greenie, voyager) would make my pc fan work overtime (it literally started wheezing) , and everything would run like it was stuck in treacle.

I was trying all sorts of live CDs and USBs (and even installing them at times) during that period so I know.

Meanwhile, my old PC happily ran Debian based distros like solydx (on Debian testing so it was pretty up to date), kanotix on kde4 with desktop effects turned on (they always had the latest kernels and updated key applications), without problem.

Arch based Manjaro (xfce) also ran well even though it was receiving updates to packages all the time.

So it's not that the latest versions of packages or kernels could not run well on my old PC, it was Ubuntu specifically.

PS. Didn't mention mepis because I was still on the older mepis11 on that PC, not being able to get the beta of mepis12 to work on it.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

crazysquirrel

#17 Post by crazysquirrel »

JayM wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm
crazysquirrel wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:46 am I guess you all can see WHY I need Multisystem now?

Oh and I finally got it working on my system. Had to use synaptic to download somesuch thing or another. And add the account to admin,
Multisystem isn't a need, it's one of several solutions that fill a need. The need that it (and easy2boot) solves is to be able to boot multiple operating systems from a disc or USB stick.

Now that you have it working, I hope you plan to stop shouting I NEED MULTISYSTEM in your signature every time you post. That's very annoying, particularly when there's a perfectly good package request forum in which to ask for apps (which I notice that you never did, even though I advised you to do that weeks ago when you first posted. I see that Richard in fact made the request for Multisystem for you.)
For what I do Multisystem is a NEED. NO other solutions I have tried are remotely suitable as all have some flaw or gobbly-gook you have to do to get a simple job done.

I will edit my sig here in a min. Always happy to comply with reasonable requests.
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

crazysquirrel

#18 Post by crazysquirrel »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:35 pm As for why mint seems slower or heavier than MX, one key reason is that they are hampered by their Ubuntu base, which is just overall slower and heavier on resource use.

This has been the case for some time. Up to end 2014, I was using an old dell pentium 4 with one gig ram. Any Ubuntu-based distro starting from the 14.04 release (I only tested so-called lighter ones like lubuntu or xubuntu, elementary, greenie, voyager) would make my pc fan work overtime (it literally started wheezing) , and everything would run like it was stuck in treacle.

I was trying all sorts of live CDs and USBs (and even installing them at times) during that period so I know.

Meanwhile, my old PC happily ran Debian based distros like solydx (on Debian testing so it was pretty up to date), kanotix on kde4 with desktop effects turned on (they always had the latest kernels and updated key applications), without problem.

Arch based Manjaro (xfce) also ran well even though it was receiving updates to packages all the time.

So it's not that the latest versions of packages or kernels could not run well on my old PC, it was Ubuntu specifically.

PS. Didn't mention mepis because I was still on the older mepis11 on that PC, not being able to get the beta of mepis12 to work on it.
Running Mint 17.3 KDE and my lappy fan hasn't come on all morning.
But it comes on with Win7 running.....
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

crazysquirrel

#19 Post by crazysquirrel »

Just tried Mx on a buddy's two laptops this morning. Cr@ppy sound level. Even with VLC maxed out and system volume maxed out the volume was still far too low compared to his Ubuntu Mate install. Strain to hear the movie.

Acer Aspire 7535 (came with win7 not the Vista one) and a Toshiba Satellite C655

Remembering how mice Mx was on my desktop, when playing the exact same movie, on his, the colors were washed out. No jitter though.

Just seems odd to me....

Stevo
Developer

#20 Post by Stevo »

crazysquirrel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:37 pm Just tried Mx on a buddy's two laptops this morning. Cr@ppy sound level. Even with VLC maxed out and system volume maxed out the volume was still far too low compared to his Ubuntu Mate install. Strain to hear the movie.

Acer Aspire 7535 (came with win7 not the Vista one) and a Toshiba Satellite C655

Remembering how mice Mx was on my desktop, when playing the exact same movie, on his, the colors were washed out. No jitter though.

Just seems odd to me....
Some laptops just have low sound settings. You can pump them up by maximizing the volume in the mixer, using pasystray, or use a player that allows for raising the the volume to 11--or arbitrary ridiculous levels like 1000%, like SMPlayer or QMPlay2. But you'll get a lot of distortion if it has cruddy speakers.

Return to “General”