Data Utilization

crazysquirrel

Data Utilization

#1 Post by crazysquirrel »

Does MX utilize internet data differently than other distro's?

I notices Linux Lite OS seems to use about 20% less bandwidth and data that any of the others I tried on the old core2duo spare desktop.

Maybe because the cpu is very slow? Dunno?

Your thoughts?

Oh and spoofing browsers to make sites use the m.address - would that work with mx very well?

Need to save every tiny bit of data I can.
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

Adrian
Developer

Re: Data Utilization

#2 Post by Adrian »

In general the browser use of data should not vary between distros, but I guess how many times you do apt-get update and how many packages get upgraded might influence the total bandwidth use.

crazysquirrel

#3 Post by crazysquirrel »

there are times when I never update either. I have played an internet game on one desktop then on the other. The big tower used more data than the little old one for exactly the same game.

Seems odd it would be like that.

Little one is Linux Lite OS big one is MX or Mint or whatever I have on it at the time.
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Doesn't Opera have some option to shrink the image size you get?

Also use a good ad blocker so you don't get all the extra crud, which is most of what you get from many websites. I like Ublock Origin. Also look into Ghostery and the antiX adblock package in the repo.

crazysquirrel

#5 Post by crazysquirrel »

I use Opera on both of them.
Way I tell what is going on is I check the data consumption on the hotspot.

Seems slower computer use less data? Dunno.

Return to “General”