The Hordes are coming ...

galaxysurfer

Re: The Hordes are coming ...

#51 Post by galaxysurfer »

I agree this is a safe haven for windows refuges if they desire. I still rock hardware from 2006-2007 thanx to Mx Linux. Keep up the good work! I told a family member about Mx LInux who has been trying to massage the life out of Win 7/Win 10. Yes there is life after Microsoft! Been on this journey personally since the days of Win Dos 3.1. & 386 processors. People just need to know they have more & better options.

Pierre

#52 Post by Pierre »

turtlebay777 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm
figueroa wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:10 pm
turtlebay777 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:13 pm Again and again I see comments about cheap USB sticks, but WHERE do people buy them cheaply? The stores around here in Dorset and Hampshire, UK very rarely stock USB sticks and when they do they're priced at £20 (sterling) or more for a small 8GB stick.
That's hard to relate to. On Amazon.com in the US, the pricing sweet spot seems to be at 32G USB 2.0 drives at 10 for $30, more or less, Prime shipping included. That's $3-US/each. Try to find the UK equivalent.
So only by buying online and risking one of the mega sites having their database with my banking details on it, being broken into and details stolen?
the thing is, that any pricing from the USA is biased to the USA market,,
and thus is very hard to compare elsewhere to that. .. Australia is the same .. Try to find the AU equivalent.
:rolleyes: you can't - - there is No Equivalent .. ..

there used to be an three pack of 4Gb usb stick(s) for $24.98,,
and now there is the 16Gb three pack for $19.98,, or an single 16Gb for $6.98,,
or the 32Gb three pack for $28.96,, or an single 32Gb for $14.98 ..
& all at my local Office Supply Shop.
&& Amazon AU is not that good either - - their prices, will be similar to that Office Supply Shop.

but anyway,, one would assume that the win-7 refugees would be a-coming, as their system, enters it's final days.
- - some will "upgrade" to win-10, by re-using their win-7 product key,, yet others will go sideways - - to Linux :hug:
but2, will there be any more than the normal movement :crossfingers: maybe a little more,, but Not Heaps, as that's most doubtful.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#53 Post by JayM »

It looks as if Bluesguy may have been right. I've been seeing a lot of posts in the last two or three weeks from people coming from Ubuntu or Mint, or at least dual-booting from one of those and MX. To them, welcome to the forum and to MX!
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

AK-47
Developer

#54 Post by AK-47 »

Prospective Windows refugee here. I was looking for decent Linux distros and trawling through YouTube for good videos on distributions, and some commenters on those videos mentioned MX Linux.

So far I have been quite impressed with MX Linux. Coming from Windows 7 I already feel quite at home. I even managed to send a few cold-call tech support scammers into a rage of confusion with MX Linux and antiX Linux VMs. There have been a handful of teething issues that tend to occur with any major transition. I'm still evaluating and testing things out, but it seems I'm on track for making the switch by the end of this year.

I found MX Tools and MX Tweak come in handy. The snapshot and remastering features seem interesting (although I haven't had the chance to test them out yet). Also putting the panel/taskbar/whatever on the side is genius. It works well even on my 1024x768 screen. For inexperienced users wanting to just browse Facetwitterinstabooktubegram and check emails like a boss, I feel MX will not get in your way.

I occasionally found simple tasks like installing printer drivers to be a bit difficult. It also took me some time to work out how to set some system-wide settings (eg. power button press to suspend the laptop when it's at the lock screen). There is also some room for improvement with the installer, such as advanced encryption settings like cipher selection, the ability to preserve encrypted /home, and also asking the user about the boot loader before the install rather than when it's almost finished. Hoping to submit some patches soon.

:lion: :anispider2: :anispider: :bagoverhead: :anispider: :anispider2: :lion:
I say, these smilies are surprisingly stupendously versatile.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#55 Post by JayM »

Welcome to the horde. Er, forum. :)

MX Snapshot is a wonderful tool. Once you have MX set up the way you like it and all the apps that you want installed, make a snapshot of it and burn the resulting ISO to a USB stick and set it aside. Later if something goes seriously haywire and you need to reinstall, or your disk dies, or you simply get another computer, you can install your very own MX setup instead of the stock one then reconfiguring/reinstalling everything to get it the way it was. (Yes, you can install your own customized MX setup even on a different computer with way different hardware, and it will "just work". Ingenious!)

I agree about the panel placement (though being an old codger I've moved mine to the bottom where I've had it in Windows for the last 23-plus years.) It's just another example of how well thought-out MX is. Monitors are wider than they are tall, so the smaller amount of vertical space (height) is at a higher premium than the comparatively abundant horizontal space (width.) Putting the panel off on one side leaves more usable room on the screen for user-space apps and activities.
Last edited by JayM on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

WarhawkCZ

#56 Post by WarhawkCZ »

AK-47 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:36 am Prospective Windows refugee here. I was looking for decent Linux distros and trawling through YouTube for good videos on distributions, and some commenters on those videos mentioned MX Linux.

So far I have been quite impressed with MX Linux. Coming from Windows 7 I already feel quite at home. I even managed to send a few cold-call tech support scammers into a rage of confusion with MX Linux and antiX Linux VMs. There have been a handful of teething issues that tend to occur with any major transition. I'm still evaluating and testing things out, but it seems I'm on track for making the switch by the end of this year.

I found MX Tools and MX Tweak come in handy. The snapshot and remastering features seem interesting (although I haven't had the chance to test them out yet). Also putting the panel/taskbar/whatever on the side is genius. It works well even on my 1024x768 screen. For inexperienced users wanting to just browse Facetwitterinstabooktubegram and check emails like a boss, I feel MX will not get in your way.

I occasionally found simple tasks like installing printer drivers to be a bit difficult. It also took me some time to work out how to set some system-wide settings (eg. power button press to suspend the laptop when it's at the lock screen). There is also some room for improvement with the installer, such as advanced encryption settings like cipher selection, the ability to preserve encrypted /home, and also asking the user about the boot loader before the install rather than when it's almost finished. Hoping to submit some patches soon.

:lion: :anispider2: :anispider: :bagoverhead: :anispider: :anispider2: :lion:
I say, these smilies are surprisingly stupendously versatile.
The same here. I mean completely same :number1:
I use Google before asking dumb questions but I am new to Linux. Thank you for your patience :-)

Artim

#57 Post by Artim »

JayM wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:28 am It looks as if Bluesguy may have been right. I've been seeing a lot of posts in the last two or three weeks from people coming from Ubuntu or Mint, or at least dual-booting from one of those and MX. To them, welcome to the forum and to MX!
Yup! I don't dual-boot, but I have MX on the home computer and a modified Linux Lite on a laptop. Both are completely awesome newbie-friendly and technophobe-friendly distros, and both use a highly modified Xfce desktop.

On Linux Lite I have an adapted version of Linux Mint's updater, to help protect against the infamous upstream Ubuntu stuff that can break a perfectly good machine. On MX I don't need any such protection! The Debian Stable base is what brought me to MX from my other Ubuntu-based favorite. It just doesn't get any more stable than Debian Stable!

manyroads

#58 Post by manyroads »

WarhawkCZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 am I use Google before asking dumb questions but I am new to Linux. Thank you for your patience :-)
@WarhawkCZ I love the signature block. :cool2: I do the same and I have been a full time Linux user since was a pup (~2000). Started with Mandrake and then went to Ubuntu with Warty Warthog (version 4) then on to Mint... Manjaro (v. 0.8) and now here. (I'm personally just a tad older than dirt.) Reg. Linux User #449130 :bagoverhead:

Welcome! :welcome:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

WarhawkCZ

#59 Post by WarhawkCZ »

manyroads wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 am
WarhawkCZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 am I use Google before asking dumb questions but I am new to Linux. Thank you for your patience :-)
@WarhawkCZ I love the signature block. :cool2: I do the same and I have been a full time Linux user since was a pup (~2000). Started with Mandrake and then went to Ubuntu with Warty Warthog (version 4) then on to Mint... Manjaro (v. 0.8) and now here. (I'm personally just a tad older than dirt.) Reg. Linux User #449130 :bagoverhead:

Welcome! :welcome:
Thank you! :cat:
I use Google before asking dumb questions but I am new to Linux. Thank you for your patience :-)

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#60 Post by j2mcgreg »

I saw something to-day while researching new laptops that could send even more folks over to Linux. Microsoft has launched WINDOWS 10 S which is identical to regular Win 10 except for one very large gotcha: a user can only install software that has been downloaded from the official windows store.

see here for the details:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... comparison

I can see a lot of people being very disgruntled when they discover that their new laptop / desktop, by design, is not nearly as capable as their old one.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

Return to “General”