The Hordes are coming ...

manyroads

Re: The Hordes are coming ...

#41 Post by manyroads »

anticapitalista wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:27 pm figueroa - true.

So who wants to step up and manage the wiki?
I guess the questions are... does the team want:
1. a wiki built of other people's content & transfered into the new MX website site using a plugin like "yada wiki"?
2. a standalone wiki that can be made to look like the mxlinux.org site? (also using info scraped from the Forums, main site, etc)
3. someone who can write most of the wiki content and do one of the above as well?
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Adrian
Developer

#42 Post by Adrian »

I hope we'll have a real Wiki (easy to edit) not HTML pages like we have right now. It's not conducive to editing...

rasat

#43 Post by rasat »

anticapitalista wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:27 pm So who wants to step up and manage the wiki?
I will not have time to take the lead, but I am there to help. Lets start by opening another thread.

richb
Administrator

#44 Post by richb »

I think you should all wait to see the new website and wiki before getting too deep into suggestions that may be moot.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

turtlebay777

#45 Post by turtlebay777 »

figueroa wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:10 pm
turtlebay777 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:13 pm Again and again I see comments about cheap USB sticks, but WHERE do people buy them cheaply? The stores around here in Dorset and Hampshire, UK very rarely stock USB sticks and when they do they're priced at £20 (sterling) or more for a small 8GB stick.
That's hard to relate to. On Amazon.com in the US, the pricing sweet spot seems to be at 32G USB 2.0 drives at 10 for $30, more or less, Prime shipping included. That's $3-US/each. Try to find the UK equivalent.
So only by buying online and risking one of the mega sites having their database with my banking details on it, being broken into and details stolen?

No way, Hosea!!

wulf

#46 Post by wulf »

turtlebay777 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm
turtlebay777 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:13 pm Again and again I see comments about cheap USB sticks, but WHERE do people buy them cheaply? The stores around here in Dorset and Hampshire, UK very rarely stock USB sticks and when they do they're priced at £20 (sterling) or more for a small 8GB stick.
That's hard to relate to. On Amazon.com in the US, the pricing sweet spot seems to be at 32G USB 2.0 drives at 10 for $30, more or less, Prime shipping included. That's $3-US/each. Try to find the UK equivalent.
So only by buying online and risking one of the mega sites having their database with my banking details on it, being broken into and details stolen?

No way, Hosea!!
Well, if you ever have a change of heart, I'd certainly recommend this stick > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MUF-64 ... r=8-7&th=1
I use the 128GB vesion in a usb 3.1 slot and a snapshot iso of 11.2GB takes around 4 minutes to write as a live usb. Hampshire and Dorset are two of my favourite counties, but Hampshire especially, I generally find to be very expensive whenever I've been there.
Last edited by wulf on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#47 Post by JayM »

turtlebay777 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm

No way, Hosea!!
You can buy a prepaid debit card, unless those also cost an arm and a leg where you live. Otherwise you'd need to take a trip to your nearest large computer/electronics/gadget retailer with lower prices, wherever that might be. (Search pcworld.co.uk for store locations near you.) And if you pay with a debit or credit card issued by your bank, that large retailer will also have your banking details in a database that could become compromised or hacked.

I just had a look and 16GB to 32GBGB flash drives typically retail for under £10 online in the UK, and usually closer to £5, so at 20-plus for 8GB your local shops are ripping you off unless they're gold-plated or special editions or something, or if you're going to small independent retailers who have high rents to pay and so high mark-ups. Curry's has Sandisk Cruzer 16GB USB2.0 sticks at 3 for £14.99 for example, which is more like what you should be expecting to pay. Heck, here in the Philippines everything to do with computers, electronics and tech gadgets costs more than in the west, and even I paid under £5 for an 8GB USB.
Last edited by JayM on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

BitJam
Developer

#48 Post by BitJam »

@Bluesguy, have you seen the Testimonials forum and/or the Success Stories forum?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

richb
Administrator

#49 Post by richb »

BitJam wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 pm @Bluesguy, have you seen the Testimonials forum and/or the Success Stories forum?
Also Testimonials on the Website.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

figueroa

#50 Post by figueroa »

turtlebay777 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm So only by buying online and risking one of the mega sites having their database with my banking details on it, being broken into and details stolen?

No way, Hosea!!
Then, you are the mercy of your local retailers. That's nice. Expect to pay more. Or, get yourself a cash card and do your online purchasing that way. Welcome to the 21st century.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Return to “General”