How are flatpak packages installed?

truscellino

Re: How are flatpak packages installed?

#11 Post by truscellino »

Hi everyone,
I am new to MX-linux, just installed the latest version on my girlfriend's laptop. I thought I could install some flatpak apps for her. I think it's quite a neat solution, doesn't mess up the system libraries and the sandboxing is nice to have, even though there is an overhead of course.
From the various threads in this forum, I understand that there is no real willingness to actively support flatpak in MX-linux, is that correct?
Themes in particular are currently not working, although flatpak now actually supports themes
https://blog.tingping.se/2017/05/11/fla ... eming.html
But as the blog post says, for themes or icons selection to be taken into account
Themes are picked up via GtkSettings, which means you require a settings-daemon running to set this. On GNOME this will already be running but for other desktops you can run gsd-xsettings directly in your libexec directory provided by gnome-settings-daemon.
gnome-settings-daemon can be installed via APT, but that seems to be a can of worms. What is your view?
Thanks, Marc

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#12 Post by dolphin_oracle »

For one, we have flatpaks installable via MX-PackageInstaller. We aren't supporting the flatpaks themselves (that's kind of the point of universal packages) but we are supporting having them available.

Theming can be tricky, but there are now theme flatpaks you can install to alleviate this to an extent. Xfce also has a settings dameon, but I don't know if it works with flatpaks.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

truscellino

#13 Post by truscellino »

OK thanks. I have used MX-PackageInstaller.
My point is that the flatpak themes don't work in MX, at least not for me. I installed Greybird GTK themes with flatpak command but that was never picked up by the flatpak apps that stick to default Adwaita. Hence the need for the GTK settings daemon...

asqwerth
Developer

#14 Post by asqwerth »

truscellino wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 pm OK thanks. I have used MX-PackageInstaller.
My point is that the flatpak themes don't work in MX, at least not for me. I installed Greybird GTK themes with flatpak command but that was never picked up by the flatpak apps that stick to default Adwaita. Hence the need for the GTK settings daemon...
It might depend on the flatpak app you're installing. Is it a QT-based or Gtk program?

Also, your main installation outside of the flatpak apps must also be using the same theme as the flatpak theme.

I only have a few flatpaks installed in MX15/16, but Lollypop and Oomox do follow the flatpak Arc theme if I use normal gtk Arc theme.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

oops

#15 Post by oops »

FI: A big change is comming ( for user-owned)
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... 2-Released

"...A big change was made with Flatpak 1.3.2 affecting how system-wide installations are done as a user. Up to now Flatpak relied upon a process involving a temporary user-owned directory and copying from there, but that method involved unnecessary I/O and temporarily using more disk space..."
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

truscellino

#16 Post by truscellino »

asqwerth wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm
It might depend on the flatpak app you're installing. Is it a QT-based or Gtk program?

Also, your main installation outside of the flatpak apps must also be using the same theme as the flatpak theme.

I only have a few flatpaks installed in MX15/16, but Lollypop and Oomox do follow the flatpak Arc theme if I use normal gtk Arc theme.
Ok thank you. Wow, MX forums are very responsive!

Interesting, I installed flatpak Lollypop and theme doesn't work, even though greybird is active for both MX and flatpak. I have installed everything flatpak at system level, not user level, I might try and re-install at user level just to see what happens. I still prefer system-level installs as there are two active users on the machine.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#17 Post by dolphin_oracle »

truscellino wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:09 pm
asqwerth wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Ok thank you. Wow, MX forums are very responsive!

Interesting, I installed flatpak Lollypop and theme doesn't work, even though greybird is active for both MX and flatpak. I have installed everything flatpak at system level, not user level, I might try and re-install at user level just to see what happens. I still prefer system-level installs as there are two active users on the machine.
Have you installed greybird. our greybird-mx17 isn't the same as greybird.

truscellino

#18 Post by truscellino »

Good point! I didn't install Greybird in MX, so it's not the same theme... thank you. Will do that properly tomorrow...

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#19 Post by dolphin_oracle »

truscellino wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:36 pm Good point! I didn't install Greybird in MX, so it's not the same theme... thank you. Will do that properly tomorrow...
I hope it works! Please let us know!

truscellino

#20 Post by truscellino »

Well, Plata theme didn't work in Flatpak, but Arc did (in both cases I had the theme set in XFCE first).
A bit of a mystery but I won't lose sleep because of this...
thank you for replies.

Return to “General”