MX Linux on Surface Pro 2

pershut

MX Linux on Surface Pro 2

#1 Post by pershut »

I've had various version of Linux Mint XFCE 64-bit installed on my Surface Pro 2 for the last few years and it works fine. No battery issues and I can use the pen to draw, but touch doesn't work for some things, such as scrolling. I'm wondering if MX Linux will work with my Surface Pro 2. I'm fine with touch not working, but I'd like to be able to use the pen to draw in sketch programs and don't want any battery issues.

Surface Pro 2 specs:

Processor Intel Core i5-4300U
Graphics Intel HD Graphic 4400
4gb RAM
128 GB Solid State

Adrian
Developer

Re: MX Linux on Surface Pro 2

#2 Post by Adrian »

Not sure if you can install it and boot from Surface Pro, can you disable the secure boot? You can try the LiveUSB and see how it works I guess and you can continue to run from USB since persistency/remastering tools are some of the best, but you might not be able to boot once installer if you cannot disable the secure boot -- I remember that Surface Pro were kind of tricky and locked down by Microsoft, but not sure...

pershut

#3 Post by pershut »

Yes, it's possible to bypass/turn off secure boot. As I indicated, I've already been using Linux Mint on my Surface Pro 2 for the last few years. I forget the specifics of how to disable secure boot, but there are quite a few a tutorials on the web.

duane

#4 Post by duane »

I am kind of skeptical as to whether you can boot a distro without a signed key.
But if you can that would be great.
I could be wrong, it has been a few years since I looked at the Surface myself.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Return to “General”