share folders on the network

napsix65

share folders on the network

#1 Post by napsix65 »

they have not modified the way to share folders on the network, too many steps to share folders, do not know why they do not compile and enable thunar-shares-plugin? it would be as simple as using caja-share, nemo-share, kdenetwork-shareplugin, I do not understand why to get stuck in complicating, when it can be done in a more practical and simple way for the novice user, or better yet, MX Linux should change the desktop to Mate. Unfortunately, I have to continue using Mint Mate 9_9

manyroads

Re: share folders on the network

#2 Post by manyroads »

napsix65 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 pm they have not modified the way to share folders on the network, too many steps to share folders, do not know why they do not compile and enable thunar-shares-plugin? it would be as simple as using caja-share, nemo-share, kdenetwork-shareplugin, I do not understand why to get stuck in complicating, when it can be done in a more practical and simple way for the novice user, or better yet, MX Linux should change the desktop to Mate. Unfortunately, I have to continue using Mint Mate 9_9
Since you seem to indicate a Thunar/Xfce issue complaint, did you report this to them? I assume whatever your concern is, is universal. Sean Davis is the xfce lead (https://bluesabre.org/tag/xfce/). The xfce site to report bugs or enhancement requests is https://xfce.org/. :bagoverhead:

Edit: we certainly hate to see people go... but you should always use the distro & DE that best suits you (Mint or otherwise). ;)
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

napsix65

#3 Post by napsix65 »

see this topic in xfce forums and ToZ replied that thunar-share-plugins is available and functional, and that it does not know why distributions using XFCE do not compile it

napsix65

#4 Post by napsix65 »

I have an office with 8 PCs in the network and I can not be explaining to my 8 employees how to add folders in MX Linux, it would be tedious and a lot of time is lost. At the moment they use Mint Mate and share folders very easily. I can not migrate the office PCs to MX Linux. Anyway, in my notebook I use MX Linux 18.1, it really is an excellent distro.

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

napsix65 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:24 pm see this topic in xfce forums and ToZ replied that thunar-share-plugins is available and functional, and that it does not know why distributions using XFCE do not compile it
Are you referring to this plugin in MXPI? see image:
Screenshot_2019-02-13_16-45-00.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

MAYBL8
MX Packager

#6 Post by MAYBL8 »

I am not trying to hijack this thread.
I was interested in this.
I tried to install with this result:

Code: Select all

dcihon@mx:~$ sudo apt-get install thunar-shares-plugin
[sudo] password for dcihon: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 thunar-shares-plugin : Depends: libthunar-vfs-1-2 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

timkb4cq
Developer

#7 Post by timkb4cq »

Oops! That library is still in the Test repo. I'll move it to main tonight.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

napsix65

#8 Post by napsix65 »

Would there be a problem with the MX system if I decided to install the Mate desktop and uninstall the XFCE desktop completely? Will MX Linux tools continue to work well?

figueroa

#9 Post by figueroa »

napsix65 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:47 am Would there be a problem with the MX system if I decided to install the Mate desktop and uninstall the XFCE desktop completely? Will MX Linux tools continue to work well?
You don't sound like your happy with MX. Why are you using it?

For solid sharing on your LAN, I personally recommend NFS. NFS is the native Unix (Linux) network file sharing system and has become extremely stable.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

napsix65

#10 Post by napsix65 »

It's not that I'm not happy to use MX Linux, I just do a cosmntructive opinion and it draws my attention that other desktops have simple network options, and that MX does not have them. So I will use NFS, if as I explained earlier, there is a simpler way to share folders on the network.

Return to “General”