choosing right linux

Stevo
Developer

Re: choosing right linux

#11 Post by Stevo »

Just to give Kubuntu the benefit of the doubt, you could also have installed and used any of the large number of file managers in its repos, including Nautilus, just like on MX.
Hi, I am trying to find a good linux to install on my laptop and wives.
We'll also need to know what hardware all your wives are running. :p

sunrat

#12 Post by sunrat »

Stevo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:44 pm
Hi, I am trying to find a good linux to install on my laptop and wives.
We'll also need to know what hardware all your wives are running. :p
LOL, beat me to it. I'm interested to know what kind of Linux can be installed on wives. :biggrin:

Richard

#13 Post by Richard »

Wife's
Blame it on auto-correct. :)
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

haxel66

#14 Post by haxel66 »

I never expected so many helpful friendly replies. I've not had the same experience on other Linux forums. I think that alone has decided me to want to use mx Linux, knowing their is such great support. Thank you.

My wife's laptop was very cheap but it runs fast and responsive with kubuntu or zorin so far.

It was funny when I brought it from PC world for 140 pounds the salesman said I shouldn't bother it's rubbish and not enough space free to install anything. But I knew Linux would be perfect for it.

I was worried about possible driver issues but everything works Wi-Fi and sound etc and the screen is nice.

Wife was using a Lenovo 100s before which only had 32bit bios and no Linux could install correctly on it without issues. Tried many forums and searching google only few succeed but with issues with Wi-Fi.

Also my wife suffers from migraines and the Asus tested fine on pwm. The Lenovo did not pass.

Hope that wasn't to much info 9_9

Ps I have only 1 wife, wives haha and don't wish for anymore :bawling:

Wife's laptop Asus e203na

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#15 Post by JayM »

haxel66 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:37 pm Thanks for reply

If its not in test repo does it mean it wont install or it could break things if installed?

this is the file i want to install redream.x86_64-linux-v1.3.1.tar.gz

My main goal is to have all my computers running on linux, I love the redream dreamcast emulator so really need this to work.

Not sure what filemanager Zorin uses but its the nicest I have used so far very simple and clear. I didnt like the kubuntu filemanager it was not easy to use, I tried to make lots of changes but it didnt work how I liked.

Thanks

toshiba Intel® Core™ i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz × 4 , 4gb ram,120gb ssd

asus intel Celeron 3350 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC
Re: redream, the fact that it's what we call a "tarball" may mean that it's the source code only which would have to be compiled on your computer. Generally you would download the .tar.gz file, right-click on it and choose "extract here", double-click on the directory it created, right-click again and choose "open terminal here" then type "./configure", "make", then "sudo make install" and enter your password when prompted. There should be a text file called INSTALL that if you double-click on it should open with the feather text editor and should contain compiling and installing instructions. You can get help on compiling in the forum here if you need it, I'm sure. OTOH having used Mint and Zorin, you may already be familiar enough with Linux to know how to compile apps from source. :) Installing redream shouldn't break anything.

Wine is available for installation in MX's stable repository. Just open the MX Package Installer located under MX Tools in the menu, then type "wine" in the search field.

MX would probably run all right on both of your machines, but if you encounter speed issues later you might consider antiX instead. Or better yet, keep MX but just increase the RAM in them. Both of them can take up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and in general the more RAM you have the happier your computer is (and you are), and RAM isn't very expensive. But try MX on what you already have. It may perform very nicely on your computers just as they are.

(Disclaimer: I've tried out God only knows how many Linux distributions over the past two years, and I now consider MX to be the "right Linux" at least on older hardware (I haven't tried it on a newer high-resolution machine yet) so I'm a bit biased.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

haxel66

#16 Post by haxel66 »

Thanks for all the help. Redream was really easy I just had to extract and double click icon to run. Sorry :-)

I have installed now and so far I am very impressed.

Love The way the update manager works by right clicking checking for updates and was quick.

I managed to install latest version of Wine, the Mx Package Installer is great.

Also Installed Redshift gtk,Geoclue2 all working. ( will have to read how to enable sunset to sunrise I loved this feature on windows )

Love all the options Mx Linux offers. Boringly I put the taskbar to the bottom I guess old habits die hard.

Everything so far so good. Would probally only change the start menu icon ;-)

Whats the general opinion on mx tweak use intel driver instead of modsetting driver. Should this be checked only if experiencing problems?

Thank you

Richard

#17 Post by Richard »

Whats the general opinion on mx tweak use intel driver instead of modsetting driver. Should this be checked only if experiencing problems?
I have Intel chip, had no problem but checked it anyway. Really didn't try to measure but my system is fast and stable.
It's easy to change if you experience a problem.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#18 Post by JayM »

Some tips to make the MX panel and menu more like Windows 7 (ish), in case you haven't already discovered these yourself:

1. Right-click on the menu's MX logo and go to Properties then the Behavior tab. Check/tic the box next to Position categories next to panel button. This will move the list of menu categories to the left like they are in Windows, so your mouse navigation for the menu will be start button-up-right rather than start-button-right-up-left, assuming that you've moved the MX "start button" to the far left end of the panel where Windows' start button is located.

2. To arrange panel items so they're like Windows, the easiest way I've found is to right-click on the panel, choose Panel then Panel Preferences and go to the Items tab, where you can select panel items then use the up and down arrow buttons to re-order them. If you end up with i.e. your "system tray" somewhere in the middle rather than over near the right corner you'll need to click on one of the spacers above Notification Area, click the Edit button, and select Expand. You'll have to do some experimentation with spacers and expanding them or not to get the panel layout the way you like it. You can also add or remove spacers to add a bit of empty space between the launchers for the file manager and Firefox and the Window Buttons item which is where icons of all of your running applications are, or add or remove space wherever you want it. (I think that by default, when you move the panel to the bottom the menu is on the far right and the clock on the left, completely backwards compared to Windows, so you may want to reorder everything so they're the same as Windows.)

Another way to rearrange panel items is to right-click on each one, choose Move then drag it to where you want. That may be easier for you. It wasn't for me as I sometimes had trouble getting things to go exactly where I wanted them.

3. Right-click on the panel, choose Panel then Add New Items and add Show Desktop. This adds an icon in the far right corner that when clicked minimizes all open windows and shows your desktop, similar to Windows 7. (I think earlier Windows versions had that as well but the icon was next to the start button, and was moved to the other end starting with Win 7.)

4. If you want to add some transparency to the panel so your wallpaper will show through it a little bit, go to MX Tools in the menu and choose MX Tweak, then click on the Compositor tab and select either Xfwm or Compton and click the Apply button. Now right-click on the panel and go to Panel/Panel Preferences and go to the Appearance tab. The slider labelled Alpha controls the panel background's transparency but doesn't affect the icons, as the two transparency sliders at the bottom do. If you use those instead you can make the panel more or less transparent including its icons, and set a different transparency when the mouse is hovered on the panel if you wish. I personally prefer to leave those at 100% opacity and just use Alpha to make the background semi-transparent, or somewhat translucent. (Panel transparency sliders are greyed out and unavailable if you haven't enabled a compositor.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

asqwerth
Developer

#19 Post by asqwerth »

There is a whole array of MX Start Icons for installation from MX Packageinstaller >> Popular Apps tab, in a few different designs and many colours.

After installation, you can use JayM's instructions in para.1 of the post just above mine to change the start button icon (ie right click on MX Logo and change the settings).
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#20 Post by JayM »

asqwerth wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:05 am There is a whole array of MX Start Icons for installation from MX Packageinstaller >> Popular Apps tab, in a few different designs and many colours.

After installation, you can use JayM's instructions in para.1 of the post just above mine to change the start button icon (ie right click on MX Logo and change the settings).
Thanks! I installed them but now I can't find them. I imagine it put them somewhere under /usr/share/icons, but do you happen to know know where and what they're called?

Return to “General”