New user's generic questions

Vargr

New user's generic questions

#1 Post by Vargr »

Hello everyone

I have been using MX17 for a month now, decide to install on a secondary system to see if it's good enough to migrate from Mint - mostly due to concerns with systemd and some performance issues.

XFCE is not my favourite desktop, but I was pleasantly surprised by the system as a whole. Everything Just Works!
From what I've seen on the forum the community seems to be very friendly which is a great plus.

Just have a couple of questions that probably are "noobish"

First and foremost
I don't consider this approach systemd-free as all the "tentacles" needed to enable systemd are still present. It's no more systemd-free than a vanilla Debian with sysvinit. Yet the systemd-free label persists. Go figure.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=12161#p12161
Not trying to pit the communities against each other, just want to know how much trouble would it be to completely remove systemd (all the tentacles included- whatever that means) from MX?
Is that something that could be seriously considered by the devs?

And just a secondary question
Is MX with some desktop choices a possibility for future versions?
I have installed KDE, which was ultra easy, but I'm not sure the integration was optimal. The idle memory consumption went to around 700mb. But it's slightly above XFCE after boot when it comes natively on other distros, usually around350mb (same version of course). This is not a big deal just a minor curiosity.

Adrian
Developer

Re: New user's generic questions

#2 Post by Adrian »

It's no more systemd-free than a vanilla Debian with sysvinit.
What's the problem with a vanilla Debian with sysvinit? And by the way MX is not systemd free, it has systemd and provide a choice to use to use it or not, by default it boots with sysvinit.
Is MX with some desktop choices a possibility for future versions?
Who knows what future brings, as of now we don't want to dilute the dev power and attention on other DEs, so there were be no KDE or Gnome or any other DE based official releases any time soon, if there are enough volunteers everything is possible. For now I just put together a KDE based snapshot here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/adrian-test/files/ (there's also a LXQt ISO there that I didn't bother to update because I had only around 50 downloads) The snapshot is mostly a demo and is not "official" and not officially supported. I started as a KDE fan and user, I think the transition to KDE 4.0 soured me to KDE and never got back into using it, I don't need anything fancy on my screen, just a regular WIMP interface, Xfce does it for me.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Yet the systemd-free label persists.
Not by MX. We have never, ever ever, claimed to be systemd free, not one single time! And we announce in the front of the Users Manual and on the website (About us) what our positions are.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Artim

#4 Post by Artim »

AntiX is systemd-free. Perhaps that is one reason for the confusion.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

We also have a FAQ you might want to look at, since the systemd question is there. https://mxlinux.org/mx-faqs

At least one one user has made a MX-antiX hybrid which is systemd-free.

skidoo

#6 Post by skidoo »

Artim wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:58 pm AntiX is systemd-free. Perhaps that is one reason for the confusion.
The Oct 2018 quote referenced in the OP here, it represents golinux' malice (not "confusion").
Note the dates in the attached screencap. This person had been called out educated previously,
on numerous occasions, in response to her posts spreading FUD regarding antiX and MX Linux.

oops

#7 Post by oops »

Artim wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:58 pm AntiX is systemd-free. Perhaps that is one reason for the confusion.
Yes, I think so too.
@Stevo
We also have a FAQ you might want to look at, since the systemd question is there. https://mxlinux.org/mx-faqs

At least one one user has made a MX-antiX hybrid which is systemd-free.
It's a good idea this FAQ.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

figueroa

#8 Post by figueroa »

I think MX devs decision to stick with one official desktop is a very well considered and sound idea. Users thinking along the lines of using an alternate desktop should carefully ponder what they hope to accomplish by using a different desktop on an XFCE-centric distribution. The reason for the desktop is to help the user get their work and other computer oriented things (play, communication, etc) done quickly, effectively, and efficiently without having to fuss with the tools.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Vargr

#9 Post by Vargr »

I'll check your KDE version Adrian, thanks.

Also gonna check antiX, like I said I don't want to pit anyone against each other. I'm just concerned with the security (and philosophical) issues associated with systemd. For someone who doesn't understand the technical details It's better to err on the side of caution and avoid systemd altogether.
Devuan is too rough around the edges for my taste, but from my experience so far MX is almost perfect.

Return to “General”