systemd in debian

towwire

systemd in debian

#1 Post by towwire »

Michael Biebl, long-time maintainer of systemd for Debian, is taking undetermined holidays from packaging it.
https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=19/01/21/042251

BitJam
Developer

Re: systemd in debian

#2 Post by BitJam »

People in that thread are lamenting there is no mainstream distro that doesn't use systemd.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

BitJam wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:28 am People in that thread are lamenting there is no mainstream distro that doesn't use systemd.
:eek: Shhh...
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Eggnog

#4 Post by Eggnog »

Yes. Don't rattle any cages.

Eggnog

#5 Post by Eggnog »

BitJam wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:28 am People in that thread are lamenting there is no mainstream distro that doesn't use systemd.
Not only that, some even suggested wanting a distro that offered users a choice on startup between SysV and others. If only there was a distro that offered choice ...

timkb4cq
Developer

#6 Post by timkb4cq »

Another example of how Poettering's vision for systemd is to give the users his choices of what's "logical" rather than what they want - rather like some makers of proprietary operating systems.

He did eventually back down in the face of his own udev documentation, but I understand why Michael Beibl wants a break. It's frustrating to work with people who already know what you should want instead of listening to what you actually do want.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

male

#7 Post by male »

I know people who say that Biebl overreacted...
Poettering is the boss. They' ll get back together too.
I know people who say that systemd is a beneficial invention and thank you for it.

Why must systemd always be judged in a derogatory way in this forum ? I don't know of any forum of a systemd distribution that does the same with SysVinit.

Why doesn't anyone ask why MX-Linux is shipped with both init systems ? Did the developers decide this or did the One decide ?
The "self-adulation" in countless threads to "Distrowatch" is embarrassing, nobody notices that?

Adrian
Developer

#8 Post by Adrian »

male wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:40 am Why doesn't anyone ask why MX-Linux is shipped with both init systems ? Did the developers decide this or did the One decide ?
It's a common decision, we don't have one person that imposes his/her opinions. What happened was a normal evolution MX (and Debian) was using sysvinit, we just continued to use it, Debian switched to systemd which created countless of problem for our live system, we continued with sysvinit and we just added the option to boot to systemd since that's already part of Debian. I think it's a nice balance, users can choose to use whatever they prefer.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#9 Post by dolphin_oracle »

male wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:40 am
Why doesn't anyone ask why MX-Linux is shipped with both init systems ? Did the developers decide this or did the One decide ?
The "self-adulation" in countless threads to "Distrowatch" is embarrassing, nobody notices that?

who is "the One"? am I the One? are you the one? Maybe I'm just Zathras. Zathras work all day for no pay. Zathras doesn't mind. Its what Zathras does. Zathras good at the doing, not so good at the thinking. Zathras live for the One, Zathras die for the One.

Seriously though, of course we decided to ship both. Building up MX is not magic. There are about 10,000 decisions that get made, so its a good thing we operate as a team.

I wouldn't read too much into Biebl's taking a break. We all take breaks. But his public statement of taking a break is very well appreciated as the devs of systemd had to take notice of the stupid thing they did. We all do stupid stuff. Sometimes we have to walk it back. Now that sytemd is more settled in across the linux distros, perhaps there will be more stupid things fixed, who can say.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb »

Why must systemd always be judged in a derogatory way in this forum ? I don't know of any forum of a systemd distribution that does the same with SysVinit.
We do not control what users say on the Forum except when Forum rules are violated.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “General”