New Linux user, mx good for start?

Artim

Re: New Linux user, mx good for start?

#11 Post by Artim »

Definitely good for newbies, and definitely safer than any of the 'buntus or distros based on Ubuntu, because Ubuntu's updates are risky. I mitigate that risk for my LinuxLite machine by using this add-on*, adapted from Linux Mint, which helps newbies selectively update and avoid the dangerous stuff coming from "upstream."

With MX there is little to none of such risk! It's Debian Stable (not Testing, not Experimental) and software is thoroughly tested before it appears in the repositories to be passed along in updates. In Linux distros aimed at new users, it's unforgivable to make those novice users unwitting beta-testers with untested software the way Ubu does.

* No longer maintained

asqwerth
Developer

#12 Post by asqwerth »

With MX there is little to none of such risk! It's Debian Stable (not Testing, not Experimental) and software is thoroughly tested before it appears in the repositories to be passed along in updates.
Well, that is assuming you don't manually enable or disable repositories on your own accord. ;)
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

BitJam
Developer

#13 Post by BitJam »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:48 am Well, that is assuming you don't manually enable or disable repositories on your own accord. ;)
We also assume you don't pour gasoline over your computer and set it on fire. :hot:
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

seaken64

#14 Post by seaken64 »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:48 am
With MX there is little to none of such risk! It's Debian Stable (not Testing, not Experimental) and software is thoroughly tested before it appears in the repositories to be passed along in updates.
Well, that is assuming you don't manually enable or disable repositories on your own accord. ;)
Now, who would even think if doing that? 9_9
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

seaken64

#15 Post by seaken64 »

BitJam wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:05 am
asqwerth wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:48 am Well, that is assuming you don't manually enable or disable repositories on your own accord. ;)
We also assume you don't pour gasoline over your computer and set it on fire. :hot:
That was funny! :laugh:
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

Mauser

#16 Post by Mauser »

BitJam wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:05 am
No, but it sounds like this person poured gasoline into a diesel computer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC68YZ_P9zQ
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Artim

#17 Post by Artim »

I actually have poured gasoline on a computer and incinderated it, after bashing it to pieces with a hammer. I was really ticked off that horrible day, when the computer simply refused to do anything I asked.
You exist to do what I say, you @#$%ing piece of %$#$@. If you won't do what I say, you have no reason to exist! So take THAT you useless pile of @#$%!
I'm probably the only one who has ever trashed a computer like that, huh? Hot anger at an inanimate object and talking to it like it was sentient and treasonous thing.

Mauser

#18 Post by Mauser »

Artim wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:44 am I actually have poured gasoline on a computer and incinderated it, after bashing it to pieces with a hammer. I was really ticked off that horrible day, when the computer simply refused to do anything I asked.
You exist to do what I say, you @#$%ing piece of %$#$@. If you won't do what I say, you have no reason to exist! So take THAT you useless pile of @#$%!
I'm probably the only one who has ever trashed a computer like that, huh? Hot anger at an inanimate object and talking to it like it was sentient and treasonous thing.
Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iumJ8_2IPo
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

azrielle

#19 Post by azrielle »

'Twas probably due to a popped capacitor or two. Makes the OS unstable.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

Artim

#20 Post by Artim »

Not like the video, because I wasn't laughing or being incredibly stupid like those two idiots. It was just a rare fit of autistic rage, and I used kerosene because it burns, not gasoline which detonates. Those fools were lucky to live through their little joke.

And mine wasn't running or capable of it by the time I incinerated it. I had already smashed it so thoroughly that there wasn't any piece of it bigger than a fingernail.

God, why am I embarrassing myself with this story? :D

Return to “General”