MX Distro for "not new" users

jakenn2008

MX Distro for "not new" users

#1 Post by jakenn2008 »

Watching BigDaddyLinux's guest's review MX-18 (I'm using it on my laptop), most all seemed to give it high praise and feel it's a very good distro (I agree) for new users. But I got the feeling that they feel that once new users become more experienced running Linux on MX, they should be moving on to something else. Isn't MX a distro for both the new user and the more experienced user? Is there any reason for me to "move on" to something else or can I feel justified to sticking with MX for the long haul? I couldn't tell specifically what they felt wasn't good enough to stay on MX once they got their experience. I think the team has put together a very fine Debian based Xfce distro.
John

Linux:
Because a computer should work for you.
Not against you.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX Distro for "not new" users

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome to the Forum! I saw that broadcast, and have no idea why they said that: there is no need to move on to something else at all.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

We agree with you, I've been using Linux since 2003, not sure if that makes me advanced or what... I could use other Linuxes, I prefer MX.

Eggnog

#4 Post by Eggnog »

MX is not a "noob" distro. By that I mean it's not designed specifically for people new to linux to help them get acclimated. It might be fine for some new users but not all of them. I think you'll find a lot of experienced Linux users using MX. It pushes all the right buttons for people of various experience ranges.

Above all, there's no reason you can't experiment with other distros. Many do, while having MX as their main day-to-day distro. Freedom and choices. That's what's awesome about Linux.

Redacted

#5 Post by Redacted »

I too have been using Linux since around 2003 or so. Exclusively Linux, to be exact.
I've tried many distributions. There are many good ones, but I've settled on MX.
MX lets me be as "advanced" as I want, or as "noob" as I want.
Welcome to MX!

Mauser

#6 Post by Mauser »

MX Linux is for all users.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

paulfsams

#7 Post by paulfsams »

There is this company in Redmond, Washington I believe. They sell an operating system that I had a hard time getting used to. I did become very good at reinstalling it (per "tech support." I have have on occasion used their later offerings. I find it a bit annoying, and it nags me all of the time. I know a lot of folks use it, and seem to like it okay. I enjoy using MX because of how well it works for me. I used to feel that Debian Stable is what everyone should use, but, I think I'll just stay here. I'm going to exercise "my choice."

figueroa

#8 Post by figueroa »

If any OS isn't for newbies, it's Windows. Just saying ...
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

whell

#9 Post by whell »

I guess one could choose to move on, but after all these years with Mepis and then MX, I’ve found more reasons NOT to move on.

Richard

#10 Post by Richard »

I began learning about Linux in 1998. Dual booting Win98 with SuSE-7.2 in 2000.In 2001 booting Mandrake preferred over WinXP.

Over the years have used many distros and trialed many more. Some for hours, some for days, months or years. The reason for changing was nearly always something that irritated and had no solution in sight.

In April 2014 discovered MX after having used all major offerings of the Linux world. I was enthralled because it was very close to my ideal distro, out-of-the-box. It has continued to improve with every release. I like the released look even though I change it to fit my style of usage.

IMHO, it is designed to be easy to use, which does not mean a beginner's distro nor a distro for gurus (if it were, I'd be left out). It does have good documentation and a very helpful forum.

MX implies that you learn to use Linux if you want to do more than use the basics. Install only from the approved repositories unless you are prepared to deal with breakage. Even better, ask in the forum before taking the chance.

MX, like many other distros, is for new users, old users, expert users, intermediate users, developers, reviewers and distro hoppers. :)
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Return to “General”