MX Distro for "not new" users

Gerson

Re: MX Distro for "not new" users

#21 Post by Gerson »

I have been using GNU/Linux for more than 10 years. I was a tester of distributions especially if they had KDE but the last ones I did not like and it was when I found MX 17 still in beta and decided to change and try to the result is that I'm still here with MX 18. A new user can find easy to accommodate to her because it is simple to use and install, in addition the forum helps a lot and an experienced user will be able to take advantage of everything she wants and also the contributions she makes will always be well-received by the community and the developers.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

asqwerth
Developer

#22 Post by asqwerth »

The fact though that the graphical tools often do their work by then opening the terminal to show you the processes and commands that are getting things done behind the scenes, is a good visual introduction to Linux and the command line.

You get a little idea of what's going on.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

anticapitalista
Developer

#23 Post by anticapitalista »

Seakenb64 - that is why linux will never 'take over the desktop' and IMO should not bother trying.
Linux is not windows full stop and any attempts to make it 'look' so will end in failure for the reasons you outline.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

seaken64

#24 Post by seaken64 »

asqwerth wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:00 am The fact though that the graphical tools often do their work by then opening the terminal to show you the processes and commands that are getting things done behind the scenes, is a good visual introduction to Linux and the command line.

You get a little idea of what's going on.
Yes, I agree. But some tools, like the updater, don't give me the full-on "terminal" visual and only show a portion of what is going on, and often fails to complete if there is some glitch in the process, like a Y/N question or permission qualification, etc. So I always use the terminal to run the updates. I see the little icon change color and then I open the terminal to take care of the upgrade.

I suppose for a newbie this would not be a good practice. They might feel intimidated by the command line environment. But after one has done this a few times the discomfort and fear goes away. Once you know what is happening you're no longer afraid. Maybe that's what makes MX appealing. You get graphical tools to get you started, and some friendly encouragement from the real "geeks" to go ahead and open up the scary terminal and give some commands a try. Once they do this a few times it's no longer so daunting - and they get their system fixed!

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

seaken64

#25 Post by seaken64 »

anticapitalista wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 am Seakenb64 - that is why linux will never 'take over the desktop' and IMO should not bother trying.
Linux is not windows full stop and any attempts to make it 'look' so will end in failure for the reasons you outline.
Of course, this is not Linux's fault, or Windows fault. It's just the way it is. If business had adopted OS/2 or Linux back in the day we would have users who only know how to do it the OS/2 way, or the "name of whatever distro became the defacto standard" way. I think we linux enthusiasts sometimes forget that most people don't care what the Operating System is called, or who developed it, they just use what is on their desk at work. End of story.

I started with CP/M, then DOS, then Windows. I started with that stuff because that was what the business community was using. I never got into Apple, Atari, even Mac's because those systems weren't popular in my field of business. But if I was working as a designer or creator I probably would have learned those other systems. I didn't have a "need" for Linux until much later when I started inheriting lots of old and obsolete computers, mostly cast outs from our business and other local businesses. I didn't want to spend money on Windows and Windows wouldn't do anything on these old relics anyway, and DOS didn't support the new internet, and OS/2 was dead. So I started using Linux and I have found it very successful on my desktops. And there are lots of others who also find Linux of all flavors very successful on their desktops. But in my business I only use Linux on some systems that don't interface with my staff (servers).

I think MX will continue to grow because the current generation of computer enthusiasts are actively looking for something else. But most are not real geeks and don't even know what CP/M or PD-8 means let alone the difference between Windows 3.0, Windows XP, and Windows 10. They only know that they want something else. And MX is a viable alternative to what else is out there. Maybe some of the younger generation of business people will learn to setup MX in their businesses and get their staff to use it and they won't even know it. But it won't be me. I'm too old and tired now to be interested in converting even my own staff to Linux, let alone the masses!

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#26 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I tried a few others, back in the day. I came, I saw, I said bleh, and went back to these folks ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

KBD

#27 Post by KBD »

MX and Linux in general are fine for computer illiterate people that :Really Only Need A Browser. My poor wife is hopeless with most technology. She has said many times that she is in trouble if anything ever happens to me because of all the gadgets in our home she doesn't understand. But she has used Linux laptops for years. She needs a browser, occasionally a word processor, and the ability to print. You can get by easily in Linux with simple needs like those (I should add if you are running a Linux distro prone to breakage you better forget it. I use stable distros only). Anything requiring Windows--forget it. Linux is no substitute for most business situations. Chromebooks might do the job in many cases for business, but likely someone there will still need a Windows machine for something. It is interesting that Google is bringing apps like Gimp and LibreOffice into ChromeOS, but whether this is something serious or just to please Linux geeks is not clear to me yet.

Moltke

#28 Post by Moltke »

Sometimes I feel like going back to Windows 7, which I really like and think's the best Windows version ever so far, mostly because to be honest I can't get the most out of my GPU in Linux while in Win 7 I could, but then I think I'd have to install an antivirus, an antimalware, drivers for audio and graphics, every app I ever gonna need and so on, so I just stick with Linux cause it works, even after months it keeps running just as good as the first day and keep that Win 7 VM around for those apps that don't work in Linux, not even in wine. I really hope someday soon Linux gets as good graphics support from comapanies such as Nvidia and AMD just as in Windows. I'm not expert whatsoever but I do know my way in the terminal and Linux in general. I agree with other users that ease of use depends on the user computing experience; any OS would be as hard for a first time pc user.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

Moltke

#29 Post by Moltke »

Sometimes I feel like going back to Windows 7, which I really like and think's the best Windows version ever so far, mostly because to be honest I can't get the most out of my GPU in Linux while in Win 7 I could, but then I think I'd have to install an antivirus, an antimalware, drivers for audio and graphics, every app I ever gonna need and so on, so I just stick with Linux cause it works, even after months it keeps running just as good as the first day and keep that Win 7 VM around for those apps that don't work in Linux, not even in wine. I really hope someday soon Linux gets as good graphics support from comapanies such as Nvidia and AMD just as in Windows. I'm not expert whatsoever but I do know my way in the terminal and Linux in general. I agree with other users that ease of use depends on the user computing experience; any OS would be as hard for a first time pc user.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

entropyfoe

#30 Post by entropyfoe »

MX linux is great for beginners because of this forum.

If you come here as a newbie with a good attitude, people will help you with any problem, up from any level.
That is one great strength of MX linux.

Experts here have patience.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

Return to “General”