MX Distro for "not new" users

PhantomTramp

Re: MX Distro for "not new" users

#31 Post by PhantomTramp »

Mepis was my second choice of Linux distro after Caldera sold their soul to the devil. I stumbled around a bit until I found out about this guy in West Virginia that polished Debian and KDE to a high shine. You could donate him a good meal in those days and that made him happy.

Now I'm old as dirt but my MX runs like it owes me money.

I think as long as they keep rolling it, I'll be using it.

The Tramp

:needcoffee:

Mauser

#32 Post by Mauser »

If Microsoft didn't come out with anything after Windows 7 I would not be using any Linux distro. One of the things I see as a former Windows user is most people are familiar with Windows and some Linux developers understand that but they are a minority. Anything that makes U.I. that resembles the good parts of the operation of Windows XP or Windows 7 and not the bad parts which makes Linux attractive to those using Windows to switch to Linux. There are these suberin Linux developers that never understand that and scare away users of Windows from Linux with their snobby Linux elitism. What I see and like is the MX Linux developers make MX Linux user friendly and kind of familiar to Windows users while at the same time making MX Linux user friendly with MX Tools and Tweak.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

KBD

#33 Post by KBD »

People sang the praises of XP, but it drove me to Linux. Some issue with .NET killed XP the first time for me. So I patiently used the 10? CD's to reinstall it. Then perhaps a year later 2 viruses (java I think) killed it again. I looked at those CD's and thought 'heck no'. Started looking for alternatives and found SimplyMEPIS 11. Man that was a great distro. Big learning curve, but worth it to be free of Windows. I probably distro-hopped everything possible, but always came back to Debian as most reliable, and MX as making Debian dead simple to install and use.

figueroa

#34 Post by figueroa »

I find that most people who use Windows believe (because they say), "I know Windows." But, it's not true. They don't know Windows. They point and click on icons or menu items and beyond that are totally helpless. Truly, computer operating systems are tools. People who use tools should be expected to learn how to use those tools. If they don't, most would be better off witch Chrome OS.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Captain Brillo

#35 Post by Captain Brillo »

So the inference from those dudes is that everybody should try to end up a Slackware guru? Hmmm...
I do find Slack to be the most "interesting" distro, anybody else?

If you look at Linux distros like different kinds of cars....
You can start with an automatic, like Ubuntu or Mint, progress to stick-shift, (the CLI), and from there to getting down-and-dirty, fixing and modifying to your heart's content.
GAFA-free zone

seaken64

#36 Post by seaken64 »

Captain Brillo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 pm So the inference from those dudes is that everybody should try to end up a Slackware guru? Hmmm...
I do find Slack to be the most "interesting" distro, anybody else?

If you look at Linux distros like different kinds of cars....
You can start with an automatic, like Ubuntu or Mint, progress to stick-shift, (the CLI), and from there to getting down-and-dirty, fixing and modifying to your heart's content.
If the tranny is not working does the driver know how to troubleshoot it? Check tranny fluid levels, drain fluid and replace with fresh, replace seals, drop tranny and rebuild, replace.

When many people use computers they have no more idea about what makes it tick than they do their transmission, or brakes, or anything else. They can "drive" it if they are shown, but if something goes wrong it's "wait for the repairman to fix it". I think Linux is well suited to the repairman and hobbiest. MX is like the Chilton manual and the devs are like your auto shop teacher.

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#37 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Maybe that is why there are so many self-builders in the linux world..?
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

seaken64

#38 Post by seaken64 »

Captain Brillo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 pm I do find Slack to be the most "interesting" distro, anybody else?
I have fondness for Slackware. It's where I started. And I can install Slackware and use a browser or office suite, and do lot's of things. But I got tired of finding out I had to compile stuff if I wanted to "install" it. I've never been good at that. I can modify scripts and move around the files system fine. But that's about as far as I can go. I marvel at how easy some Slackers are able to do stuff. It is interesting, no doubt.

What I like about MX is that I can avoid compiling and still get stuff installed. I still have to modify scripts and config files but I don't have to go beyond that. I guess there are quite a few users who won't even touch the command line.

I think there is a set of Linux developers and users who think that unless you're a coder and a master-level geek you shouldn't be using Linux. I've never got that feeling from the folks here.

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

KBD

#39 Post by KBD »

This being my 8th year with Linux, 90% of the time my approach to an OS is pragmatic--I just want and expect it to work. My problem with Windows is/was what do you do when it doesn't work? What if you no longer have a video driver, or they broke a driver you need and no fix in sight? It doesn't happen often, but I don't like being at the mercy of Windows. I will use Windows if it is all that will work on a particular computer, or the only OS that runs a must-have program.
My problem with most distros is they don't fix bugs, they are too obsessed about features or their next release to worry about stability. I think this is killing Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros.
As for Slack, Arch, I say good for them, enjoy. I will sit with Debian and enjoy the sunset while they try to build, rebuild, restore, and tear the thing apart. I'm not a tinkerer, I'm an end user and enthusiast for a working Linux system that once installed is reliable. MX/Debian is that system. You can tinker if you want, but you can also just enjoy a working operating system :)

dphn

#40 Post by dphn »

First Linux for me was Suse without 'open' in the late 90s I think. I'm a german guy and Suse was the only popular Distribution at this time and I was so happy with my first internet connection with a 56k modem and Suse.

Second one Ubuntu/Mint years later, but I'm not happy with so many pre-installed things, I would like to understand the system and install the software by myself. Then I play around with Arch Linux but only for learning purposes. Same with Manjaro and the famous Manjaro Architect installer. So this is a good base knowhow to create own respins of systems for example Linux Mint. I like their configurations, very clean but it becomes bigger and bigger. So I created smaller ones with the Ubuntu mini.iso, a good starting point, but Ubiquity (Ubuntu-Installer) and the python-scripts are too buggy and installer crashes from time to time.

Then I found MX-Linux and antiX. Now I'm using the antiX-core ISO for my ideas. Mixing repos, only those for Debian stretch, of course. Fantastic. This is better, a Debian base with backported packages, a simple installer and Linux rocks.

Another good one is Q4OS. Not the Windows-Style or Trinity. But the install process with the desktop-profiler and the post-install-wizards are awesome. They also provide Plasma together with Trinity. Really clean without unnecessary apps.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Return to “General”