Mozilla to Disable Flash in Firefox 69 [News]

KBD

Re: Mozilla to Disable Flash in Firefox 69 [News]

#11 Post by KBD »

Flash is, sadly, still used on too many sites. Chrome will still be using it for awhile so users can keep Chrome around. Flash needs to die, but seems to hang onto life support on the web.

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

We'll probably remove it from the ISO if our default browser doesn't support it. We'll keep it updated in the repo until the end, though.

kmathern
Developer

#13 Post by kmathern »

Are they also killing off the PepperFlash/PPAPI plugin (the one Chrome uses)?

turtlebay777

#14 Post by turtlebay777 »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 am What this really means is that sites that are using flash better get on the ball about using something else.
No sir, what this really means is are you going to provide a means of reading internet sites that use Flash or are you going to follow the rest of the sheep and refuse to support your users!

wulf

#15 Post by wulf »

KBD wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:52 pm Flash is, sadly, still used on too many sites. Chrome will still be using it for awhile so users can keep Chrome around. Flash needs to die, but seems to hang onto life support on the web.
Totally agree. It's been a hackers best buddy for far too many years. I guess I'm fortunate in that I no longer need it on my system or in the web browser.

KBD

#16 Post by KBD »

wulf wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:22 pm
Totally agree. It's been a hackers best buddy for far too many years. I guess I'm fortunate in that I no longer need it on my system or in the web browser.
Every time I think I don't need it I hit a site that I can't access without it :(

figueroa

#17 Post by figueroa »

The demise of flash won't be painless, but is long overdue. I have a website with audio files served up by java and flash going back over four years and those pages will have to be completely rewritten, someday. :-)

Adobe has not played nicely or fairly with users in general and open source in particular. I'm looking forward to an Adobe-free future.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Captain Brillo

#18 Post by Captain Brillo »

Any body remember the 70's band "Flash in the Pan"
:p
GAFA-free zone

nour

#19 Post by nour »

mystic wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:47 am Guys, whats the difference between the browser's built in flash plug-in and the one on our desktop Pnr Status TextNow VPN?
The first is just a plug-in that needs a browser to run,
The second can run .swf and .flv files without any other assistance.

Return to “General”