Two things missing from every Linux distro's

gimcrack

Two things missing from every Linux distro's

#1 Post by gimcrack »

I don't know why developers hide what equipment their using to created their Linux distro. I think this is a key to success. As many people out there trying Linux the very first time just fail and run back to Windows. Sometime it's the user, but it also can be their hardware. If developers list all their hardware they are using with the distro they developed. Then at least people know what hardware this distro works on. Yes, there current hardware might work. But if not, and it's time for them to buy a new PC. Then they can keep the hardware in mind that the developer was using. Meaning next time a success installment. Bingo we have a Linux user to chalk up.

MX and all the other LInux distro's I try out on this machine just works. No hardware issues what so ever. So here is my list of hardware.

https://justpaste.it/7bvfv

The other thing that is missing is a Swag Store. A Merchandise store with MX logo's on them. Stickers, coffee mugs, tee shirts, etc. Some distro's have these Merchandise Stores. Like to see one here. Most use a third-party partner so most the work is done by them. More people would stay with us, just because these two things.

skidoo

Re: Two things missing from every Linux distro's

#2 Post by skidoo »

First, MX Linux does share "how its it's built". MX wiki page titled "In-house applications with available source":
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/about/database ... plications
^---v
github source repository for the "Build-iso" tool:
https://github.com/MX-Linux/build-iso-mx

Second, you should not care (do not even need to know, it doesn't matter) what hardware is used to "build" the distribution ISO.
Aside from some declaration of "suggested/minimum RAM requirements", the expectation is that you or I can successfully run build-iso on a diverse range of hardware.

Third, few people would ever have an actual need to use "build-iso". The snapshot and remaster tools are, comparatively, easier to use.

"The other thing that is missing is a Swag Store."
Really? You are enthusiastic about the prospect of spending US$40 on a T-shirt, giving middleman US$38 and MX US$2?
We're all further ahead if you would just click the donate button.

If you have one dog, great. If another dog wanders into your yard and you feed it, now you have 2 dogs.
See how that works? It doesn't work's, it just works. There aren't two dog`s (nor dog's, nor dog,s) in your yard, just 2 dogs.
Last edited by skidoo on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dphn

#3 Post by dphn »

Linux systems are no commercial products. All distros created by a developer team and MX devs are really good. A fantastic knowledge. Yes, Linux users have the choice. There is not one Linux, there are many different ones for different purposes. Most beginners use Ubuntu or Linux Mint. MX is underrated in my opinion but it comes, look at distrowatch.
It have an awesome hardware support and you can customize it and create a snapshot. All this is possible and of course you can build systems from ground up. Read the wiki and install Arch Linux or start with a Debian Netinstall. All this is great and gives the user the freedom and full control over their systems. I recommend to buy hardware by Lenovo or ASUS.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

gimcrack

#4 Post by gimcrack »

skidoo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:07 pm
I'm not talking about the source codes or how the .iso was being built. I'm talking about the hardware that their Linux distro they created is sitting on. We all can see the requirements or recommend hardware. And yes most Linux has great supporting hardware. But there are a few, it just won't work or at least won't work out of the box. If everybody knew what hardware the developer has their Linux distro sitting on. Then we have a idea what hardware this distro works on. So if new people are buying new PC's they know exactly what to get. I see so many buy brand new hardware and found out Linux don't work on it or don't work on it well enough. That's what I'm asking here. Like I share my hardware, every developer need to share their hardware. So all of us can be on the same page of success. Here are my specs again https://justpaste.it/7bvfv with zero problems.

The swag can be small - keychain, stickers, coffee cup. Just have something to show off what Linux distro I'm using. Will donate straight up, but it's nice to have something tangible as well.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Most of our packages are built in schroot systems, which abstracts the hardware for the most part. I think build-iso does something similar.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

On the swag topic: this is not news to us, and we had stickers available in the past until the company went under. Like so many suggestions people make to us ("how much work could it be to produce a minimum version?"), it's primarily a question of personnel and priority. If we had a spare person to work on the swag question, that would be different--but we don't. With the increase in membership over the last year, we're hoping to recruit talent for side projects like that. But ATM we are all out doing support of one kind or another, and that has to take priority.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

BitJam
Developer

#7 Post by BitJam »

We used to have stickers: Make sure you get your MX sticker. [ninja'ed by Jerry]

As far as hardware is concerned, the problems are usually the same for most distros unless there is a distro made for the hardware that has proprietary drivers built in. IMO there is already plenty of information out there right now about which machines work well with Linux and which don't. If there is a machine that catches my eye then I will often Google(Linux $MAKE $MODEL). There are also many articles listing the best laptops for Linux.

IMO, the information you want is already readily available. Us making a list of the machine we use would not add a lot of useful information. In addition, it could be misleading because we often need to do things that normal users don't need to do. My suggestion is to Google(best linux laptop) or Google(best linux computer) and then do more specific searches for the machines that look interesting. Right now the ASUS Vivobook looks great. You can get a "pc only" version with an Intel Core i5-8250U for $510. Add an M.2 ssd for about $50 and you will have a spectacular machine.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

besides, I don't want users thinking a our isos ONLY work with given hardware. mine for instance is pretty bargain-basement and/or pretty old.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

cyrilus31

#9 Post by cyrilus31 »

I suppose it's the same for all languages but in French Ubuntu Documentation users are invited to describe hardware and if Ubuntu works or not : https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/portable.

skidoo

#10 Post by skidoo »

:hmm:
linuxliteos Linux Lite Hardware Database
Linux Lite System Information Report (and upload) Tool
The server-side mechanism is undisclosed. Could be just a simple cgi script. To guard against "spam", submissions could be stored in a "holding pen" until reviewed...

Along with collecting "specs", it would be beneficial for the reporting tool to provide a freeform "notes" entrybox, encouraging users to provide details of any hardware-specific special quirks they encountered along with workarounds/fixes they've discovered.

related (no autoupload)(no private info? suitable for sending to pastebin.com?) https://github.com/shaggytwodope/linuxl ... ripts/info

Return to “General”