Two things missing from every Linux distro's

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Two things missing from every Linux distro's

#11 Post by chrispop99 »

When most Linux users built their own desktops, a list of what works might have had some value. Now we are mostly using laptops, such a list would be pretty pointless as makers use a variety of components within a given model. Wireless cards, Bluetooth cards, Ethernet cards and even touch pads can all come from a variety of suppliers, and will have greater or lesser compatibility.

To say a maker x, model y will work with Linux would simply not be possible.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

cyrilus31

#12 Post by cyrilus31 »

What Skidoo proposed is exactly what I had in mind when I gave my link to ubuntu : a mix between an automated tool to get the configuration and a way to describe precisely what was the issues/quirks encountered by users.
Thanks to that ubuntu list I was able to install more easily Ubuntu on my old laptop.
@Chrispop : it may not be useful for all cases, but in most situations it could be helpful for a preliminary diagnostic

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

There's also a online site where users could run a script from github, and it would upload a rather comprehensive analysis of the machine and what was working or not on it with Linux, so that others could see it.

I started a thread for that here a few months ago, but it seems to have sunk without a trace. I did upload the info for the MSI GP63 8RD--recommended if you want a powerful gaming laptop for $1000 US that just works a treat OOTB with MX 18--though its power is used here for package builds.

Adrian
Developer

#14 Post by Adrian »

Linux works pretty much on all the hardware, the examples of couple of people who use Linux (call them devs or MX users) won't do much, I think it's more useful at this point to list hardware that doesn't work with Linux well than the other way round.

cyrilus31

#15 Post by cyrilus31 »

It depends on where you look the problem from. Knowing your configuration is OK for others may be helpful to detect a hardware failure for example. Don't you think so?
Hardware that doesn't work is essential but listing all hardware should not represent a major workload

gimcrack

#16 Post by gimcrack »

Everybody here has a good point. Just trying to make it easier for the newbies. I guess the best solutions, is Linux got to have a brick and mortar stores across the country. Where their PC hardware is guarantee to work with Linux. Wish I had the money and that's what I would do. Were all the hard stuff is done for the consumer. Just hook it at home and start using it. Just like when they buy a Windows PC at a store.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#17 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Being the only Linux dude in Town. Who even gets free city hall gear when they upgrade their hardware to Windows 10 gear.

All I can say. Headache city getting any one to think, remember, solve situations. Like I do.
Showing how WICD works needs pencil and paper and cartoons.

School system out here is pretty lax at it's best.
No future rocket scientists coming out of high school here.

Dumbing down can be harmful to ones own self.
As I am learning when speaking with my wife who hangs more with locals than I do.

She has learned how to be incoherent.
Because of the linguistic challenges living in a border community.
Instead of

Taste the bacon wrapped turkey I pulled out of the oven.
Dumbed down short hand is:
Can you taste __________? That.

She forgets the word because of dumbing down.
Sad.
Because I am dumbing down also.
Cuz I Understand what she is saying.
:tumbleweed:

Challenging corp. whose specialty and corp. finances are geared to dumbing down customers.
Yep. We lack that.
:number1:

Captain Brillo

#18 Post by Captain Brillo »

I went out and bought a box on the famous "Ubuntu Hardware List" - a classic Linux-friendly Lenovo.
Imagine my surprise when Ubuntu wouldn't run on it. (All kinds of other distros would, though.)

So much for "Distro Hardware Lists."
GAFA-free zone

whell

#19 Post by whell »

A few "glass half full" comments, it seems. It seems pretty simple to me: some one who had one computer class back in high school - about 40 years ago - and learned how to work with Linux on his own.

I learned Linux because the limitations of Windows on the desktop bugged me. That doesn't describe most people, but it happened to describe me. So, I wanted to change what I was doing and changed to Linux. Most folks just don't care enough to make the effort to bridge the learning gap and learn Linux, so they slog through with Windows.

I will say this - once folks decide they're going to slog through with Windows, the thing that keep has kept them coming back are the apps. That's the way it was, anyway. The apps that I spend most of my time in now are web based. I could use any platform / OS I wanted to. If my employer ever decided to save a buck and make the workplace a "bring your own device" environment, they're getting closer to the point that they could do it. Meaning I could work from a Linux desktop, an iPad, a Chromebook, whatever. It would likely save a boatload of money in tech support costs, make the workplace device and OS agnostic, and probably give employees more freedom to work how they wanted to.

Using MX at work? How cool would that be! :)

anticapitalista
Developer

#20 Post by anticapitalista »

whell wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm ... The apps that I spend most of my time in now are web based. I could use any platform / OS I wanted to. If my employer ever decided to save a buck and make the workplace a "bring your own device" environment, they're getting closer to the point that they could do it. Meaning I could work from a Linux desktop, an iPad, a Chromebook, whatever. It would likely save a boatload of money in tech support costs, make the workplace device and OS agnostic, and probably give employees more freedom to work how they wanted to.

Using MX at work? How cool would that be! :)
To do that now in 2019 ie using web-based apps you need a computer/laptop with at least 4GB RAM and a fast processor i5 Intel. If you have less, you're ...
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Return to “General”