"Where in the World is Warren Woodford?"

gimcrack

#1 Post by gimcrack »

I started with SimplyMepis(Mepis) 15 years ago. A great Linux distro, glad I chosen it to be my first. I found this nice Interview article of Warren Woodford. http://www.extremelinuxcomputers.com/20 ... mepis.html

I know some of the team that worked on Mepis is now with MX. And I do have the same feelings here. MX is a mirror image of Mepis. So it's like I went full circle with Linux. Glad I end up here and I'm here to stay. Just like to know if you keep in touch with Warren Woodford or he keeps in touch with the old team. You guys are doing a wonderful job here. Thanks team; old team and this also goes to Warren Woodford; THANKS!
Last edited by gimcrack on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Where is Warren Woodford?

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

MX is a mirror image of Mepis.
No, but it accepts its basic principles.

As far as your subject line goes: I believe Warren is working in Arizona. Interestingly, he recently let mepis.com go, and redirects mepis.org to a recent article on the "6 Best Linux Distros of 2018" that includes--amazingly--Mepis [12] and doesn't say a word about that having been discontinued 6 years ago.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Pierre

#3 Post by Pierre »

YUP - that mepis.com is now, some sort of Movie Streaming site
:confused:

so, the Real Question is: "who has still got an old copy of Mepis"?.
- - I've still got a copy of Mepis3,3 :eek:
and Mepis V6 / 7 / 8 - - from memory.
:alien:

never did work out, just how the Mepis Numbering Schema worked.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

A lot of us here have a bunch of them
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

BTW, we still use his code, the installer is still probably 50% the original code I would guess (and uses pretty much Warren's original installation flow) and all the MX tools were inspired by it. I started to write Qt code when I wanted to modify the installer for the first MX release... so if you like MX tools to some degree we owe that to Warren too.

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

The MX Boot Repair and User Manager tools in particular still are very reminiscent of the original Mepis "Assistant" tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npXDpGsNLUo

see at 3:55, 4:15 of the above video of Mepis 11.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

Thread title should be changed to

IMHO

Woah, the screenshot from that review site is from MEPIS 8! Welp, we know now what review site has their head in a dark, awful place.

KBD

#8 Post by KBD »

Adrian wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:08 am BTW, we still use his code, the installer is still probably 50% the original code I would guess (and uses pretty much Warren's original installation flow) and all the MX tools were inspired by it. I started to write Qt code when I wanted to modify the installer for the first MX release... so if you like MX tools to some degree we owe that to Warren too.
Yep. I remember using that same/similar installer. Studied it like I was taking a test as it was my first Linux installation and I had no clue what I was doing :)

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

For those wanting to go 'wayback' https://archive.org/details/LnC38
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

gimcrack

#10 Post by gimcrack »

Adrian wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:08 am BTW, we still use his code, the installer is still probably 50% the original code I would guess (and uses pretty much Warren's original installation flow) and all the MX tools were inspired by it. I started to write Qt code when I wanted to modify the installer for the first MX release... so if you like MX tools to some degree we owe that to Warren too.
Yes, I like all your MX Tools. Take a peek at Voyage setup, maybe you can take some of those ideas and integrated here. They got some beautiful scripts. The one of my favorites are all those Start Pages for the browser. But their sidebar is very impressive to. Take a peek at it all, might inspire you some.

Return to “General”