[SOLVED] NBFC 3rd party systemd services in the default sysvinit session

tomec

[SOLVED] NBFC 3rd party systemd services in the default sysvinit session

#1 Post by tomec »

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum and I've been using MX 18 for a few days and must say I'm really enjoying it: this is the most interesting distro I tried in the last couple of years and - well - I installed and used kind of a lot. Really nice job, guys.

I'd like to share how I apparently managed to solve a problem with a 3rd party systemd service not working in the default sysvinit session: I'm referring to the mono-based NBFC (NoteBookFanControl) utility by hirschmann which I run on my 8460p laptop to quiet down the CPU fan below a certain temperature.
As it does not ship with sysvinit init scripts, I had to find a way to convert the nbfc.service and the nbfc-sleep.service into /etc/init.d suitable scripts.

Luckily I found the "systemd-to-sysvinit-converter" python script by akhilvij (github) which generated both scripts that I pasted in /etc/init.d.
Then I enabled the service with:

Code: Select all

sudo update-rc.d nbfc defaults
The command created the symlinks in the /etc/rcX.d/ folders to automatically run and stop at the given runlevels.

So far, the nbfc services seem to be working as they should and if that is the case, I can easily revert to sysvinit as default!
Last edited by tomec on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

skidoo

Re: NBFC 3rd party systemd services in the default sysvinit session

#2 Post by skidoo »

Thanks for the the info! I haven't yet tested it, but it looks like it will be a handy tool.

oops

#3 Post by oops »

Welcome, and thanks for sharing this info.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

tomec

#4 Post by tomec »

skidoo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:40 pm Thanks for the the info! I haven't yet tested it, but it looks like it will be a handy tool.
Yes! For me it was as easy as

Code: Select all

python converter.py [.service file] > [new init.d script] 

Return to “General”