We're number 2 at DistroWatch page hit rankings!

Gordon Cooper

Re: We're number 2 at DistroWatch page hit rankings!

#11 Post by Gordon Cooper »

This is great news, Yet, last week I was talking with the Secretary of a Linux group - based at an NZ University - and he had never heard of MX. Guess he does not know about DW either?
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Mauser

#12 Post by Mauser »

dreamer wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:12 pm Congratulations!

I watched 30 minutes of this and I was saddened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwuLgHPpJvI

MX Linux is so far ahead of everyone else where it matters: Reliability, functionality and polish (very few bugs) and then they complain about log out button, Snaps, missing AppImage daemon... I guess it was hard to find real things to complain about.

I think ordinary Linux users see the strengths more clearly than a "Linux panel". I actually hope MX Linux doesn't reach the number one spot. It's better to fly under the radar and avoid most of the jealousy, crazy remarks and being pulled in every possible direction.
Why be concerned of what an idiot has to say that doesn't know how to read the manual?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

boombaby

#13 Post by boombaby »

A youth is skipping around the local street singing, "Number 2 today! Number 2 today!".

A woman spots him singing and dancing, and recognizes that he is her next-door neighbour, whom she knows is an "IT nerd" who loves Linux.

"Number 2 today! Number 2 today", he sings, quite joyously.

The woman stops him and asks, "Why on earth are you so happy, dancing and singing like that?".

The youth says, "Well; I've been constipated for the last week!".

Regards,

boombaby
_

BitJam
Developer

#14 Post by BitJam »

dreamer wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:12 pmI actually hope MX Linux doesn't reach the number one spot. It's better to fly under the radar and avoid most of the jealousy, crazy remarks and being pulled in every possible direction.
Just two years ago we were hoping to get into the top 20 at DW. So we were under the radar for a number of years and I think that helped us a lot. Now that were are #2 at DW we are probably no longer under the radar. I think it is important for us to try to address problems reported in the forums even if they are "user generated" because our actual popularity may rise dramatically.

For years I had advised people to pick a Linux distro based on the support forums. What I've seen happen with very popular distros is their forums get overwhelmed by new or newish users and the quality of the support drops. I think we've been fortunate to be less popular at the beginning so we could address and fix many issues before getting flooded with bug reports and issues in the forums. The more problems we can fix now the more people we will be able to support in the forums.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Eggnog

#15 Post by Eggnog »

dreamer wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:12 pm Congratulations!

I watched 30 minutes of this and I was saddened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwuLgHPpJvI

MX Linux is so far ahead of everyone else where it matters: Reliability, functionality and polish (very few bugs) and then they complain about log out button, Snaps, missing AppImage daemon... I guess it was hard to find real things to complain about.

I think ordinary Linux users see the strengths more clearly than a "Linux panel". I actually hope MX Linux doesn't reach the number one spot. It's better to fly under the radar and avoid most of the jealousy, crazy remarks and being pulled in every possible direction.
If you have to complain about the default location of the logout button, you're really reaching for something to complain about. Apparently, they felt tasked to find something to grouse about. No one complained about the stability and polish.

Richard

#16 Post by Richard »

Great job by all the MX crew.
Read the reviews for legitimate critiques.
That is what has brought us here.

Personal opinion by reviewers is not always a valid criteria.
I like the MX task bar on the left, sometimes use it for awhile --but usually change to the bottom.
So what? Choice, implies making one.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Gordon Cooper

#17 Post by Gordon Cooper »

And the interest in MX is well spread. I am currently setting up another machine to look after the torrents and currently am downloading iso's for
both MX and AntiX. qBittorrent is showing where the feeds come from. In one Antix feed there are 20 sources, 17 different countries and overall
counting both MX and AntiX feeders, the Nederlands tops the list with 8.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Eggnog

#18 Post by Eggnog »

Speaking of antiX, it's currently at #17, just one page hit behind Antergos. It wasn't log ago it was sitting at #20.

zorzi

#19 Post by zorzi »

Congrats to the MX team.

And I'm sure the best is to come.

boombaby

#20 Post by boombaby »

Hello, MX Collective (ie everyone - CEO, Brains, Devs, Testers, Keen Users, et al)

When I first started really trying linux, Redhat was the rage. However I couldn't get the hang of it for doing "work". Finally, I saw potential in Mandrake Linux with a GUI desktop and programs. After some internal dissent that fell in a heap (as I understand it).

The spirit of the distro split into two camps. One became Mandriva, under French influence; the other was PC-LinuxOS, out of Texas. Both were great systems. Of course OpenMandriva developed soon after, and Mageia too. All great systems from the one Distro. (Now; that is as I understand it. I am prepared to be wrong, but don't be too harsh. That's from quick memory.)

Point is. MX has become a non-systemd distro of great worth. Take care. You've done well. Continue. It's a GREAT distro.

Prediction: I anticipate MX will become a "threat" to Manjaro at #1 spot on Distrowatch around mid-March. Somewhere between then and June Ist expect it to hit NUMERO UNO.

Thanks to you.

boombaby
_

Return to “General”