things to do after installing MX-18

skidoo

things to do after installing MX-18

#1 Post by skidoo »

(mentioned here vs adding noise to the betatesting feedback topic)

Some folks may welcome the addition of a panel shortcut for "screenshot" (or other program); OTOH, some folks might regard this as clutter.
Takes only seconds to add a shortcut. Howto example:
1) click menu button in panel to open whiskerMenu
2) type "screenshot" into the finder entrybox
3) drag the "Screenshot" menu item onto the panel; a confirmation dialog is displayed. Click "create shortcut". Done.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: things to do after installing MX-18

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I think it is best if I not post my 23 pages of what I do after an install *giggle*
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Some of mine that aren't that common:

Set up iuvolt, add it to /etc/rc.local so it runs at boot. (Intel undervolting script)

Install msi-keyboard to control the RGB keyboard, install some scripts that call it with various parameters in /usr/local/bin, such as "msib" for blue keyboard backlighting instead of the default red. Create an xfce autostart launcher that runs the "msib" command at login.

Wireless won't work correctly after resume from suspend or hibernation, fix by doing this: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/networking/wifi-suspend-issues

If hibernation isn't working out of the box after enabling it, run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure uswsusp
The default values are good, but you might want to change one, save, and then revert the change and save again. This seems to get it working on my machine.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

Here's my clean install routine, it's a bit more basic...
  • I have one script to remove standard apps I don't use...
  • Another script to add apps that I do use...
  • Then I have a behemoth data transfer routine (for new installs) to get data setup and synced with Dropbox which is where I keep nearly 400+GB of Genealogy data, images, source materials, etc.
:popcorn:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

oops

#5 Post by oops »

Things to do after installing MX-18 beta from MX17 (dist-upgrade)
See here: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=47201
Here are some other details.

1. the kernel will not auto-update. Once we near release, we will have a new kernel entry in MX-PackageInstaller->Popular Apps=>Kernels with the new kernel.

2. your home folder will not be touched during the update. No xfce settings should be changed by the update, so things like wallpapers and theme selections should not change.

3. You can use the MX-Tweak "reset defaults" options to pull in the new thunar custom right-click menu actions and the new lightdm greeter configuration, if you desire.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

turtlebay777

#6 Post by turtlebay777 »

things to do after installing MX-18.

Have a fag and a cup of tea.

entropyfoe

#7 Post by entropyfoe »

Install nvidia driver with the MX tool -reboot
Use disk manager to enable the data disk.
Set my wall paper.
Widen the panel and change the clock to show seconds, add common shortcuts for applications to the panel like terminal, clementine
Change conky to the antix conky
Run Synaptic updates
Add with synaptic the packages I want (k3b, lmms, ksnip, chess stuff, ripperx, youtube-dl,espeak, bleachbit, handbrake, audacity, ... synaptic reported 108 packages added with all the dependencies) -reboot for safety
firefox tweaks (like installing noscript, adding bookmarks, setting the home page and download location....)
Probably a few more I am forgetting ...
Last edited by entropyfoe on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

Adrian
Developer

#8 Post by Adrian »

When I install MX I install Dropbox and sync it and run some custom scripts to add my dotfiles and some symlinks from Dropbox. I tried other cloud storage programs like pcloud and insync for Google drive, each of them has a problem, either don't respect or lose the executable bit for files which is really annying or they are not as fast or reliable as Dropbox.

BTW, I'm thinking to create an option in MX Package Installer to do a diff between packages on release ISO and the installation and create a custom install action to install them in one selection when you reinstall or upgrade MX. So basically on older MX installation one would "Save Package Selection" and then on a new installation they could do a "Load Package Selection" follow by "Install". I'm unclear about the detail, but it seems very doable (the problem is that there might be a mix of packages from different source)... I will have to wait till we release MX-18 and have more time to experiment.

Mauser

#9 Post by Mauser »

Move the panel to the bottom where it belongs. Adjust DPI to 150 for my eyes. Install HP all in one printer drivers. Install Mirage and un-install Nomacs so I can print. Theme it to Plasma Bolt with Tweak's Amigma Icons. Install Autumn Road wall paper. And the list goes on. :wink:
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Bamber

#10 Post by Bamber »

manyroads wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:20 pm
  • Then I have a behemoth data transfer routine (for new installs) to get data setup and synced with Dropbox which is where I keep nearly 400+GB of Genealogy data, images, source materials, etc.
Don't you keep that data in a separate partition/disk?

Return to “General”