Problems with big December package update

berg

Re: Problems with big December package update

#21 Post by berg »

i have been having many problems with this big update too (posted here: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=47357)

very relieved to hear the gimp issue will be fixed as i need some of those plugins badly. thank you very much for the quick response!
there is a similar issue with the geany update which also lost some plugins.
i also had the same font issues as OP. it happened to my Zim Wiki as well as to my program window title bars (font issues), but they mostly seemed to recover after a reboot, although Zim still looks strange in some way I haven't been able to pinpoint yet.
also as mentioned in my original thread several programs in PlayonLinux are not running and wine programs are also not running for me. I could not use the nvidia driver fix as my laptop does not have an nvidia card.

dreamer

#22 Post by dreamer »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:52 pm Exactly.. I am one of those people who said Nuh uh!! when I saw the bunch coming at me. Knowing that at the end of the year a new MX comes out I decided to just hold off, and wait for the new release. So.. I just cherry pick right now (things like Chrome and such do get updated), and all the other 80some packages can stay nicely where they are *pat pat* and not update.
I'm tired and annoyed. I hope I can express this. First. MX Linux is the best distro. MX team creates the best tools and has created the best forum with direct feed-back and help.

So what does MX Linux do wrong according to me?
I honestly don’t understand why the dev team didn’t put MX-18 specific hardware enablement and apps (Gimp 2.10) in a separate MX-18 repo. It would have been an easy solution. Instead you chose to "kill" MX-17 for people who want to stay on that release. That repo would only have been one click away from MX-17 users who wanted the MX-18 stuff.

I knew what was coming. I held off updates in December. Yesterday I "sacrificed" a test-PC. The result:
Changed fonts and it is impossible to know if it is xorg, mesa/dri, amd firmware or freetype that is responsible for this.
Gimp 2.10 is a controversial update which admittedly can be held back.
Because of all these xorg, mesa, firmware updates my "night mode app" Iris has stopped working.

So not a bad job for such a big update. You are the best, but pushing these updates to MX-17 users is a foolish thing. I really don't want hardware enablement, because it just gives me problems with a release that is pretty flawless at this time. Now it's back to "experimental mode", one update at a time... There's no reason to treat MX-17 like this.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#23 Post by Eadwine Rose »

richb wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 pm
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:04 pm Fehlix: don't forget there were a number of users who upgraded before any of the instructions came out.
True, but instructions for a fix was posted shortly thereafter.
Definitely. That was some VERY fast acting.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#24 Post by Eadwine Rose »

dreamer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 pm
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:52 pm Exactly.. I am one of those people who said Nuh uh!! when I saw the bunch coming at me. Knowing that at the end of the year a new MX comes out I decided to just hold off, and wait for the new release. So.. I just cherry pick right now (things like Chrome and such do get updated), and all the other 80some packages can stay nicely where they are *pat pat* and not update.
I'm tired and annoyed. I hope I can express this. First. MX Linux is the best distro. MX team creates the best tools and has created the best forum with direct feed-back and help.

So what does MX Linux do wrong according to me?
I honestly don’t understand why the dev team didn’t put MX-18 specific hardware enablement and apps (Gimp 2.10) in a separate MX-18 repo. It would have been an easy solution. Instead you chose to "kill" MX-17 for people who want to stay on that release. That repo would only have been one click away from MX-17 users who wanted the MX-18 stuff.

I knew what was coming. I held off updates in December. Yesterday I "sacrificed" a test-PC. The result:
Changed fonts and it is impossible to know if it is xorg, mesa/dri, amd firmware or freetype that is responsible for this.
Gimp 2.10 is a controversial update which admittedly can be held back.
Because of all these xorg, mesa, firmware updates my "night mode app" Iris has stopped working.

So not a bad job for such a big update. You are the best, but pushing these updates to MX-17 users is a foolish thing. I really don't want hardware enablement, because it just gives me problems with a release that is pretty flawless at this time. Now it's back to "experimental mode", one update at a time... There's no reason to treat MX-17 like this.
If you please read back, there was no pushing involved. Things have been explained in a previous post.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator

fanisatt

#25 Post by fanisatt »

Anyway....it was a bad update for me too (MX-17 user) !
Reminds me some Fedora updates a few years ago.....
Is there a link to read any accurate instructions (because there are thousands of posts....), to make things better here or, it could be really better if I install the later MX OS ?
Many thanks.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#26 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I remember the first time an update borked my system. It was in the beginner years back in the mepis days still..

I will forever suspiciously eye and distrust the libc6 package ;)

fanisatt

#27 Post by fanisatt »

I was restrained here in MX......

GuiGuy

#28 Post by GuiGuy »

Jerry3904,
Please advise those of us who would like to unbork our borked MX17 installations.
What options do we have?
Should we just install the October update (preserving /home) over it?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#29 Post by Jerry3904 »

Don't think so, because the repo itself has been changed. The question is a good one, however, and we will post an official response as soon as we can.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#30 Post by chrispop99 »

Just for information, two users in our Facebook group have problems after the big update, These seem related to the inability to run any MX tools, or to start MX Tools itself. One has already re-installed; I've asked the other user to report here.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Return to “General”