Problems with big December package update

newguy

Re: Problems with big December package update

#61 Post by newguy »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:18 pm I just did some testing. adding ecryptfs-utils from te root account should work to restore access to home folder.
I can confirm that approach works. Though you need to make sure the user is not logged in elsewhere, such as from a terminal or OpenSSH session. So the admin needs to install the package, make sure everyone logs out, then the issue is fixed.

newguy

Re: Problems with big December package update

#62 Post by newguy »

johnf76 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:09 pm It does bring up some issues, though. I did have my root password, and I was able to get in using that because the root directory wasn't encrypted. Had I been using full disk encryption, I probably would have been sunk (unable to restore the encrypt-utilties, since I wouldn't have been able to log into root, which would be encrypted).
I'm pretty sure full disk encryption doesn't use ecryptfs-utils, so you would have been fine. In fact, with full disk encryption, there would have been no problem at all. You would have put in your password at boot and things would have unlocked normally.

Return to “General”