Problems with big December package update

Stevo
Developer

Re: Problems with big December package update

#51 Post by Stevo »

wulf wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:22 pm No problems with Gimp, and everything else works just fine with the exception of Google Earth which now shows a permanent splash screen on launch, and the map area is confined to a tiny screen at the top left. Looking through the list of lib's that were updated in the MX download, I can only see libwepmux3 that bears any similarity with the lib's, ( libwebp), listed by the Google earth application. Could this be the cause of the malfunction? I'm using GE pro from the stable repo >
7.3.2.5495 (64-bit). I have not as yet run apt autoremove on libgegl-0.3-0 (0.3.8-4) and libllvm3.9 (1:3.9.1-9) which the MX update says are no longer required. Does anyone know if this would solve the problem?
I'm using Nouveau drivers not Nvidia. Thanks.
If you upgraded nouveau to a MX version (apt policy xserver-xorg-video-nouveau), try downgrading to the Stretch version shown in that output

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau=1:1.0.13-3
and then locking the version in Synaptic if that fixes it.

johnf76

#52 Post by johnf76 »

newguy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:16 pm I found another significant problem following the December update. One of my machines uses encrypted home folders and I discovered, following the update, that ecryptfs-utils is marked as no longer needed by any installed packages and marked for removal if "apt-get autoremove" is run.

Unfortunately I wasn't paying close enough attention and allowed APT to remove the unwanted packages, including ecryptfs-utils, which effectively blocked all users from being able to login to the machine. I ended up having to rescue the system and manually re-install this package in order to re-enable user logins.

I'm not sure which package had the dependency change which resulted in ecryptfs-utils to be marked for removal, but it was a nasty surprise. Definitely taught me to pay closer attention to the "can be removed" listed APT shows during the update process.
I had the same issue just now. I got the "these packages are no longer needed", and ran apt-get autoremove. Now, I can't log in with my password to my regular account (though root is still working, as I have the normal home only encryption, not full disk). Haven't tried to re-install encryptfs-utils yet, and I'm worried about not being able to get to my home directory to back up the data if I have to re-install. If that's the case, is there a way to boot up with a live usb and get the encrypted data? (I know the password).

I'm on a T-500 Lenovo. Oddly enough, while Firefox runs fine in the root account, Chrome and Chrominum won't launch.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#53 Post by dolphin_oracle »

you should be able to put encryptfs-utils back. it may come back to life just by doing that.

I think there is a way to recover the password. There are some ubuntu wikis that are pretty good on encyrptfs
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#54 Post by Stevo »

Can we add encryptfs-utils as a dependency for MX System so it doesn't get removed?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#55 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I just did some testing. adding ecryptfs-utils from te root account should work to restore access to home folder.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

turtlebay777

#56 Post by turtlebay777 »

fehlix wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:03 pm
turtlebay777 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:49 pm There were no such warnings whatsoever! Just the normal standard update box. No other instructions.
You might have missed it most other got those displays with help messages:
grub1.png
grub2.png
grub3.png
:puppy:
Most certainly didn't get those Fehlix, they would have been a great help. Possibly I updated my system as soon as Debian offered them but before the MX team had inserted the help pages?

fehlix
Developer

#57 Post by fehlix »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:10 am Most certainly didn't get those Fehlix, they would have been a great help. Possibly I updated my system as soon as Debian offered them but before the MX team had inserted the help pages?
No, that information was displayed by debian package installer itself. The long thread and DO's video and other helping instructions (in the long forum thread) came out couple of hours later. What we have done shortly afterwards was a settings change in case such update happens again, that would make a nicer GUI displayed with better mouse instead of keyboard only interactions ... anyway
ttfn
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

johnf76

#58 Post by johnf76 »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:18 pm I just did some testing. adding ecryptfs-utils from te root account should work to restore access to home folder.
And it did! I'm replying from my original account! Thank you!

It does bring up some issues, though. I did have my root password, and I was able to get in using that because the root directory wasn't encrypted. Had I been using full disk encryption, I probably would have been sunk (unable to restore the encrypt-utilties, since I wouldn't have been able to log into root, which would be encrypted).

So, for now, I'm staying away from apt autoremove!!

wulf

#59 Post by wulf »

Stevo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:49 pm
wulf wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:22 pm No problems with Gimp, and everything else works just fine with the exception of Google Earth which now shows a permanent splash screen on launch, and the map area is confined to a tiny screen at the top left. Looking through the list of lib's that were updated in the MX download, I can only see libwepmux3 that bears any similarity with the lib's, ( libwebp), listed by the Google earth application. Could this be the cause of the malfunction? I'm using GE pro from the stable repo >
7.3.2.5495 (64-bit). I have not as yet run apt autoremove on libgegl-0.3-0 (0.3.8-4) and libllvm3.9 (1:3.9.1-9) which the MX update says are no longer required. Does anyone know if this would solve the problem?
I'm using Nouveau drivers not Nvidia. Thanks.
If you upgraded nouveau to a MX version (apt policy xserver-xorg-video-nouveau), try downgrading to the Stretch version shown in that output

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau=1:1.0.13-3
and then locking the version in Synaptic if that fixes it.
U iz da man!!..Thanks Stevo. Downgraded and locked. It works perfectly. Cheers :)

turtlebay777

#60 Post by turtlebay777 »

fehlix wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:21 pm
turtlebay777 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:10 am Most certainly didn't get those Fehlix, they would have been a great help. Possibly I updated my system as soon as Debian offered them but before the MX team had inserted the help pages?
No, that information was displayed by debian package installer itself. The long thread and DO's video and other helping instructions (in the long forum thread) came out couple of hours later. What we have done shortly afterwards was a settings change in case such update happens again, that would make a nicer GUI displayed with better mouse instead of keyboard only interactions ... anyway
ttfn
Whatever, no help pages were displayed.

Return to “General”