Problems with big December package update

newguy

Problems with big December package update

#1 Post by newguy »

I installed the big series of package updates in mid-December (around Dec 12th). This update included a lot of upgrade tools and firmware and a new version of GIMP.

I've run into a couple of problems with this mass of updates, nothing show stopping, but little issues that will hopefully get ironed out.

1. The new version of GIMP results in gimp-plugin-registry begin removed and it cannot be re-installed. This basically breaks half my GIMP functionality and will probably necessitate reverting to the older version.

2. Fonts in most desktop applications got changed. At least in GTK-related programs, all my fonts got reset to thin, blocky fonts that I'm going to have to change manually.

I'd strongly prefer if MX did not do these big program updates to refresh desktop software. Each time it happens I end up with broken applications and fixing things. I'd prefer MX stick to providing just security updates to the packages originally shipped.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Problems with big December package update

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks; those are serious and unintended consequences that we will have to fix.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

I wonder why there are not flood of complaints. Is it possible that there is some sort of unique configuration mix on your machine(s) @newguy?

Not that my 6 installations represent what everyone has/uses, but I updated at the same time and had no problems with any of the items you mentioned (or anything for that matter). Perhaps you could share the output of MX Tools- Quick System Info (so smart people here can see if anything strikes them as being a potential trigger or fix).
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Whoops, we have 2.10.X compatible versions of gimp-plugin-registry and gimp-gmic in the test repo that we need to move to main.

Thanks for catching that!

dphn

#5 Post by dphn »

yesterday I've thought for a moment my MX is a rolling release distro. :p

All updates without problems. It's a really great work by the devs to do this on Debian stable and backported a lot of packages. System is not more a stretch system. It's a MX-System and much different.

A better way to solve problems is not so many pre-installed software packages. Another way to create ISOs is a post-install with install scripts. Small distributions like BunsenLabs (Crunchbang) do this.

For GIMP it's recommend to deinstall the old one before update.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

The font issue also doesn't seem to have happened for most people...I get the impression that the new freetype might not work well with older fonts like URW or Dejavu. Can you tell us what you're using?

You should not have to remove GIMP before upgrading...the upstream Debian packagers go to a lot of trouble to make sure this isn't necessary.

dphn

#7 Post by dphn »

I'm using Noto Sans before and after the update. Looks fine. Other users reported problems with different pre-installed conkys.
Stevo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:47 pm You should not have to remove GIMP before upgrading...the upstream Debian packagers go to a lot of trouble to make sure this isn't necessary.
thx.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

If you continue having Gimp issues, perhaps using a flatpak install (if you have a lot of free disk) might provide a decent solution. It's available via the MX package installer.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

turtlebay777

#9 Post by turtlebay777 »

manyroads wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:55 pm I wonder why there are not flood of complaints.
I can answer that, because after a previous disastrous bunch of updates - the one with the update of grub - I no longer do any updates. My machine works and I want to keep it like that.

Gordon Cooper

#10 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I have not seen any problems here since the update. This machine does not have Firefox installed but that may be irrelevant.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Return to “General”