Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

disabling touchpad & disolving antiX with MX <resolved>

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: disabling touchpad & disolving antiX with MX

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

No it doesn't. Settings > Session and Startup, add it to Application Autostart tab.

I see the location got cut off--you can find it with Alt-F3
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Bierhundt

#12 Post by Bierhundt »

Thanks Jerry, I got as far as the line that wants a command - I tried Alt-F3, which led me to a lot of apps that are already installed, I selected Touchpad and it will hopefully start up with no problems - Thanks! I'm going to shutdown now and reboot to test that.

Also, when it says "All Architectures" would that also include Winblows 7? I rely on this touchpad indicator a lot (since I end up with a lot of FFE's without it), and I would like to install it on all of my laptops.

I dual-boot with MX and Win 7, so I'd like to be able to have it on both OS's. MX is for everyday use, Winblows is for my BeerSmith app. If BrewTarget (Which works on both OS's), would ever catch up to BeerSmith, I'd be totally Linux and no BSOD OS.

TIA

Bierhundt

#13 Post by Bierhundt »

That didn't work, so I'm going to go thru the sequence again.

Done twice more and still doesn't disable the touchpad on startup - I don't know what I did wrong, but if it works for others, it's my screw-up obviously! BTW, it now shows up as checked in the 'applications and startup' menu.

Thanks for the help.

Bierhundt

seaken64

#14 Post by seaken64 »

I hate tapping to click. no, I mean I HATE it! So, I always turn that off. In MX with XFCE there is a control panel for the touchpad and you can turn tapping to click off and also adjust the sensitivity in case you accidentally brush it while typing.

In antiX I always add this to the startup file for the window manager:
synclient MaxTapTime=0

That works for me.

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

Bierhundt

#15 Post by Bierhundt »

Since I've got both, where do I find the control panel for MX?
And in antiX, how do I find the startup file for the window manager?

BitJam
Developer

#16 Post by BitJam »

Bierhundt wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 pm
The startup files for the window managers are in hidden directories (and files) in your home directory:

.fluxbox/
.icewm/
.jwm/ and the file .jwmrc
.config/herbstluftwm/

and finally, we provide some common functionality in:
.desktop-session/startup

The default configurations for most of these are in the same files under /etc/skel/.

I use "ls -a" to view hidden files with the ls command.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

seaken64

#17 Post by seaken64 »

Bierhundt wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 pm Since I've got both, where do I find the control panel for MX?
In MX the XFCE control panel is launched with an icon on the top line of the menu. On my system it is the fourth icon to the left, with the first icon being the Log Out. If you put your mouse cursor over the icon it will say "All Settings". When you click on that it will open the control panel. Scroll down until you see Mouse and Touchpad, click on that. You will see a tab that says "Touchpad", click on that. You can disable the touchpad while typing and turn off tap to click.

In antiX you use the Menu|Control Centre|Edit IceWM Settings, select the Startup tab, enter "synclient MaxTapTime=0" (without the quotes), Save, Close.

HTH,
Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

KoO

#18 Post by KoO »

I found this on a forum for D610.

We just need to press and hold down the FN key, then press the F8 key, and then release both keys at the same time you can turn off the touch pad. If you want to open later, do the same operation again.

http://www.basicspc.com/?p=1029

Or maybe a bios setting ?
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

Bierhundt

#19 Post by Bierhundt »

seaken64 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:53 am In MX the XFCE control panel is launched with an icon on the top line of the menu. On my system it is the fourth icon to the left, with the first icon being the Log Out. If you put your mouse cursor over the icon it will say "All Settings". When you click on that it will open the control panel. Scroll down until you see Mouse and Touchpad, click on that. You will see a tab that says "Touchpad", click on that. You can disable the touchpad while typing and turn off tap to click.

In antiX you use the Menu|Control Centre|Edit IceWM Settings, select the Startup tab, enter "synclient MaxTapTime=0" (without the quotes), Save, Close.

HTH,
Seaken64
That did it! I 'never' use the touchpad, so I have disabled it, using your instructions, as well as something called a stick (don't know what that is ....) - Thanks!

Bierhundt

#20 Post by Bierhundt »

KoO wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:17 am I found this on a forum for D610.

We just need to press and hold down the FN key, then press the F8 key, and then release both keys at the same time you can turn off the touch pad. If you want to open later, do the same operation again.
I'll try that as soon as I can - (today's "let's go into town and do the laundry" day) got to go..... to her, my lappy's problems are not a priority ;>). The wife blames all of my computer problems on LInux, but since I traded her a Win 10 for the D610, she's changing her tune! She's mentioned that we might should trade back, but I stopped that immediately. If I have to have a Winblows system, it'll be Win 7, so I'm in control, NOT M$ .....

Return to “General”