-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Test Repo Suggestion

Richard

Re: Test Repo Suggestion

#11 Post by Richard » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:10 pm

MX strives to take end-users by the hand and offer a Linux (Debian) system that's easy and simple to use. One must ALWAYS take into account the need of the end-user and their abilities. Many of them come from other platforms and are using Linux for the very first time and need assurances that they won't end up doing something silly ... without the flashing lights and sirens of course. Grandma and Grandpa first-timers should have absolutely NO problem fulfilling their computer needs after an MX install
NO. I don't agree with that.
MX Linux is not Windows, Ubuntu, Elementary, SmokieLinux, SmartLinux or whatever.
https://mxlinux.org/ MX Linux is a cooperative venture between the antiX and former MEPIS communities, using the best tools and talents from each distro. It is a midweight OS designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint. (--> more)

Basic traits
Kernels (secured against known vulnerabilities)
32bit: Linux kernel 4.15.0-1 PAE (non-PAE kernel: antiX). Very stable kernel for many machines.
64bit: linux-image-4.15.0-1-amd64. Recent stable kernel for newer machines.
Easy kernel upgrade or downgrade with MX Package Installer
Foundation
Debian Stable 9.4 (Stretch), augmented by ongoing backports and additions
Xfce 4.12.3
core antiX systems
Automatic enabling of most Broadcom drivers
UEFI installer (64bit)
https://mxlinux.org/current-release-features Thanks to its high stability, easy learning curve and good looks, MX Linux makes a great no-fuss system for all types of users and applications.
MX Linux is designed for people who are literate, can read simple warnings and heed them.
It is derived from Debian Stable. Their motto is still "If you break Debian, you get to keep both pieces."

Nowhere do I see that you can add, delete repos, install weird stuff and it is MX fault & responsibility to clean up your mess!

PS: I probably should just delete this, but I'll leave that task to our moderators.
MX18b1: Lenovo T430: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 4.9.0-8-amd64, 119 GB SSD
MX18b1: Eee&AA1 NBs: Dual Core Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.9.0-8-686, 150 GB HDD
DoubleCmd/Thunar, LibO613, Dropbox, Vivaldi/Firefox, CherryTree, Vbox. LinuxCounter #208633

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by skidoo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:43 pm

thanks, MisterZ, for this followup "user advocacy" food-for-thought topic.

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:50 pm

It seems to me we are plowing the same ground over and over. I am sure the devs have monitored this thread and will take all suggestions under advisement. Cane we move on?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Richard

#14 Post by Richard » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Yes, thanks.
MX18b1: Lenovo T430: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 4.9.0-8-amd64, 119 GB SSD
MX18b1: Eee&AA1 NBs: Dual Core Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.9.0-8-686, 150 GB HDD
DoubleCmd/Thunar, LibO613, Dropbox, Vivaldi/Firefox, CherryTree, Vbox. LinuxCounter #208633

MisterZ

#15 Post by MisterZ » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:35 pm

@Richard
"Nowhere do I see that you can add, delete repos, install weird stuff and it is MX fault & responsibility to clean up your mess!"
First of all, I've never made a mess I coouldn't fix myself or through this forum, Secondly, if you have ever gone through my posts, you'll find that I.ve never faulted MX for anything ... in fact have helped users and even provided the odd tutorial. Yes, you should have deleted your obnoxious post and gone to bed, Due to your disrespectful mouth, I.ve come to MY limit ... Please remove my posts and my login credentials from this snobbish hell-hole. Good-bye and good luck to all the civil folks, devs, and mods who do a great job ... except for loud-mouth!

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by arjaybe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:47 pm

MisterZ wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:35 pm
@Richard
"Nowhere do I see that you can add, delete repos, install weird stuff and it is MX fault & responsibility to clean up your mess!"
First of all, I've never made a mess I coouldn't fix myself or through this forum, Secondly, if you have ever gone through my posts, you'll find that I.ve never faulted MX for anything ... in fact have helped users and even provided the odd tutorial. Yes, you should have deleted your obnoxious post and gone to bed, Due to your disrespectful mouth, I.ve come to MY limit ... Please remove my posts and my login credentials from this snobbish hell-hole. Good-bye and good luck to all the civil folks, devs, and mods who do a great job ... except for loud-mouth!
I think because Richard was talking to you in that post, you thought he was talking about you. Simple mistake. Shake it off and come back.-)
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

A thug state led by an overweening twat.

Green Comet

richb
Administrator

#17 Post by richb » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:09 pm

OK, I requested we move on and it is obvious we cannot. Since this thread has served its purpose and now has become personal I am locking it.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “General”