Seamonkey - Video Download Helper?

Bierhundt

Seamonkey - Video Download Helper?

#1 Post by Bierhundt »

When I go to the Mozilla add-ons page, I'm told that Video Download Helper is for FireFox only! I prefer Seamonkey as my browser (Unbranded Firefox, from what I've read). Anyone know of an alternative video downloader that will work with Seamonkey?
I was hoping that I could try to install the Video Download Helper as a stand-alone, but you have to download Firefox at the same time. I'm wondering if I did that, and then removed Firefox, would it leave the VDH untouched, or will they somehow be intertwined so that it would screw up my MX17? Any thoughts on that?
TIA, Bierhundt

JmaCWQ

Re: Seamonkey - Video Download Helper?

#2 Post by JmaCWQ »

Have you tried the Flashgot Mass Downloader that appears when you go Tools > Add-ons Manager then click Get Add-ons from within Seamonkey?
I've never used it so don't know how customisable it is, it seems add-ons numbers are somewhat limited with Seamonkey.

Kreative

#3 Post by Kreative »

SeaMonkey user too 8)

My SM has a problem w/ YouTube, so I blocked 'em. I use IceCat & Vivaldi for videos.
SM Add-on used uMatrix, uBlock Origin, Flashblock and (Only for coders: WebDevloper ToolBar https://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/).

sanlav

#4 Post by sanlav »

" I'm told that Video Download Helper is for FireFox only! I prefer Seamonkey as my browser (Unbranded Firefox, from what I've read). Anyone know of an alternative video downloader that will work with Seamonkey? "

youtube-dl (via wget) + aria2c (with a bit of tweaking) works well AND fast for me.

As for Seamonkey, if I remember well, I always change in Preferences or Options : Identify as ... choose Mozilla Firefox. That did the trick for me since Seamonkey 2.10+ till 2.40+.

baldyeti

#5 Post by baldyeti »

Have you tried the Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey ?

Note I have not used it myself but remembered people mentioning it on the Seamonkey newsgroup.

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

Bierhundt wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm Anyone know of an alternative video downloader that will work with Seamonkey?
You might give youtube-dl-gui a try. A standalone downloader GUI which you can install from MX Package Installer.
Just paste the video URL from the browser, click Add and Start to download.
Youtube-DL-GUI.png
Despite the name: The tool can download from quite a lot of websites not only youtube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Bierhundt

#7 Post by Bierhundt »

I've installed "youtube-dl-gui" for now .... I'll give it a spin and see if I can use it ... If not, there have been other suggestions. Thanx to all who have commented/suggested the various options!
Bierhundt

bumper

#8 Post by bumper »

try Cliqz browser if it will install, it has a great one built in, just click the button
I f the code works the First time something is incomplete :number1:

chippy52

#9 Post by chippy52 »

I use flareget which has a built in YouTube grabber, if thats yours source.
flareget.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MX-KDE-18.9_x64 KDE
AMD Ryzen7 2700, 8GB DDR4, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050, Samsung nvme2.0 SSD 950 evo 250GB, Seagate 1TB

Return to “General”