Polo File Manager

Moltke

Polo File Manager

#1 Post by Moltke »

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :happy:

Do any of you use Polo File Manager? I've been using it for quite some time now and found it to be really an interesting option with some handy features for a FM. The author of this app is no other than the creator of timeshift and aptik. One of the features I like the most is the "embedded terminal" which can be open by pressing F4(yes, I changed xfce4-terminal --drop-down to F3) and the fact that you can run an .iso disc into a VM directly from the app with a right click>boot in a VM. You can read more about it here https://github.com/teejee2008/polo

Here some screenshots I took

Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

Stevo
Developer

Re: Polo File Manager

#2 Post by Stevo »

Did you install it from our test repository?

viewtopic.php?f=134&t=44809

Moltke

#3 Post by Moltke »

Stevo wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:21 pm Did you install it from our test repository?

viewtopic.php?f=134&t=44809
I should really start to look into that repository. No, I didn't. I Installed it via a .deb file provided by the author here https://github.com/teejee2008/polo/releases

I did run

Code: Select all

$ apt search polo-file-manager
but it found nothing and of course it didn't since it is in the test repository. 9_9

tomcashen

#4 Post by tomcashen »

Yes, I use polo file manager. Finding a proper home for polo has partly driven my distro-hopping adventures. Needless to say I was quite pleased to find it in the MX repos.

Part of the charm of polo is the external tools implementation. In other distros, I had to pluck and twerk to find and install them all (I'm looking at you, pdftk). In MX, all the tools were available. (YMMV)

Code: Select all

sudo apt install clamav diffuse fish lzop mediainfo pngcrush pv rclone youtube-dl pdftk groot neofetch gnome-disk-utility
Also, kvm functionality through qemu is installed and tested, but I'm not a virtual guy, so my approach to this is a little sloppy.

I also installed the donation plugins offered by Tony George to contributors of $10 or more. Well worth it to me. He provides an install script for the donation plugins and sends updates to his contributor list.

I use it alongside Thunar, depending on the job. The best of both worlds and all.
HP Elitebook 8730W
Core 2 Duo T9600
8GB ram
Quadro FX 3700M

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

tomcashen wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:10 pm Yes, I use polo file manager. Finding a proper home for polo has partly driven my distro-hopping adventures. Needless to say I was quite pleased to find it in the MX repos....
If you're satisfied the package in Test Repo works fine or if you find bugs, please report in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=134&t=44809&start=20

The packaging team can then decide if it's ready to be moved to the Stable Repos.

And welcome to the forum.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Moltke

#6 Post by Moltke »

I use it alongside Thunar, depending on the job. The best of both worlds and all.
So do I. I use PFM mostly when creating and/or moving files/directories since it has a embedded terminal so I find it easier to use it instead of thunar or "cding" from the terminal from one dir to another.
If you're satisfied the package in Test Repo works fine or if you find bugs, please report in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=134&t=44809&start=20

The packaging team can then decide if it's ready to be moved to the Stable Repos.
Well, I think you should move it to the stable repo so everyone can benefit from it. I've been using PFM for quite some time now, long before I started using MX and it's given me no troubles whatsoever. I find it really stable and useful.

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

Still not working for me.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Moltke

#8 Post by Moltke »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:30 am Still not working for me.
What isn't working for you? PFM?

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

My bug report is here: viewtopic.php?p=466664#p466664

Moltke

#10 Post by Moltke »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:19 pm My bug report is here: viewtopic.php?p=466664#p466664
So you can't install PFM from the test respo? Well, like I said before I've been using it for quite a while, since version 17 came out last year and I've always installed it using the .deb or .run file provided by the author here https://github.com/teejee2008/polo/releases I haven't had any mayor issues with it so far. The only thing I can complain about is that there is no translation into my own language - Spanish - and some minor features like shortcuts and stuff like that; i.e return key doesn't take me back to the previous dir, I can do it wit Alt+arrow keys though. Currently, I have nautilus and PFM alongside thunar and switch between one and the other for different things; Nautilus when working with several tabs, cause I can switch from one to another using my keyboard while in thunar I can't; Ctrl+pgdown/pgup doesn't work for this, PFM when I need to move different files/dirs to different locations and a terminal approach is quicker rather than a mouse click one, and thunar for regular stuff cause is the quickest of the three and I can navigate the system using my keboard without even needing to reach the mouse. Maybe you should try installing it the same way I did. I mean, if you haven't already done so.

Return to “General”