(SOLVED) mx tool to manage users

Moltke

(SOLVED) mx tool to manage users

#1 Post by Moltke »

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :happy:

I accidentally damaged my user account; many configuration files - .bashrc, .profile, as well as programs configuration files and folders are gone. I created a new one and was wondering what the mx tool to manage users can do in these cases. I read the users manual but there's nothing about it on it. I'm working on this new user account and thought of copying files; documents, music, videos, downloads from the older one and then delete it but I've never ever faced a similar situation before and am not sure on how to proceed. I could use some advice and it be really appreciated. Thanks in advance for your answers.
Last edited by Moltke on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

dreamer

Re: mx tool to manage users

#2 Post by dreamer »

Since your old account is "screwed" only copy your files (documents, music, videos, downloads etc). Don't copy any settings.
MX User Manager is great, but not really needed in this case.

Not very pro tip (but useful): To avoid problems with permissions you can first copy your files to an NTFS drive and then from that drive to your new user account. This will clean all files from permissions.

Gordon Cooper

#3 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I had a similar problem years before I had heard of MX Tools. Most of my computer work is on an old desktop with an Ausus mobo that can accomodate 3 hard drives, and with a powered USB hub another half dozen drives could be added. So I use a 1 terabyte connected through the hub and just backup everything. Probably this could regarded as a lazy mans approach but it's easy.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Moltke

#4 Post by Moltke »

dreamer wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:10 pm Since your old account is "screwed" only copy your files (documents, music, videos, downloads etc). Don't copy any settings.
MX User Manager is great, but not really needed in this case.

Not very pro tip (but useful): To avoid problems with permissions you can first copy your files to an NTFS drive and then from that drive to your new user account. This will clean all files from permissions.
Yeah that's what I decided to do and already did it. Copied everything into this new account but used the right-click menu "set ownership to user" to avoid problems with permissions. By the way, I'm not a native English speaker so my MX is in my native language, althought in the old account some stuff like some items/orders in the right-click menu were in English and now in this new one I noticed they're in my language. So I guess something good came out of this mess. And sorry about the "screw" word. I'll fix that, was kind of mad at the moment. Thanks for your anwer! :happy:
I had a similar problem years before I had heard of MX Tools. Most of my computer work is on an old desktop with an Ausus mobo that can accomodate 3 hard drives, and with a powered USB hub another half dozen drives could be added. So I use a 1 terabyte connected through the hub and just backup everything. Probably this could regarded as a lazy mans approach but it's easy.

I do that too in my 1TB USB HDD. But some stuff I hadn't copied/backed up by then. Thanks for your answer! :happy:
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

Return to “General”