Email programs with MX Linux 17.1 and Linux in General

catalinux

Re: Email programs with MX Linux 17.1 ..

#21 Post by catalinux »

I feel Thunderbird is great. The only thing I don't like about it is the resource consumption which is a killer on my old netbook. I'd love any of the other lightweight offerings but none can offer Gmail login unless you choose to use 2FA or to enable access for "less secure apps" as they call it. On Thunderbird you only have a browser window opening where you log in with Google and grant Thunderbird access to your account. Maybe when I'll switch to 2FA to Google I'll switch to Claws or Sylpheed too.

Right now Thunderbird is in a transition process in becoming an independent organisation (you might know that). So I guess many of their decisions are reflecting this state. Right now they managed to host extensions separately from Mozilla's website and I think that's a plus. Hope things will settle down before Thunderbird will have 0 userbase.
Acer Aspire One D260
Lately got a Lenovo V110-15ISK too

KernSpy

#22 Post by KernSpy »

Yes, I've heard that Thunderbird and Evolution both seem to be pretty heavy on resources. I think Claws has some issues with google mail login and maybe others services as well? I don't like the idea of all mail (everything) online via browser. I'm old school and like the using claws mail like email programs and having my email come to my home email address / server and not some web based service like google / yahoo.

No, I didn't know about the TB transition to becoming an independent organization, but there is something about TB that always angers me. Something it won't do and should do. I know i've spent time the past messing with it and ended up pretty frustrated.

I took a look at the email program "The Bat" and I guess it works in Wine. There is a free portable version, but the only way one can get that is to buy their Pro Version and that is $60.00 US. The home version on the other hand is $27.00 US. I would really like to see a side by side comparison. The Bat Home .
MX-19.2_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio.

towwire

#23 Post by towwire »

Go here and scroll down to see a comparison. https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

My old version is the Pro but I never tried the portable version as I just had a copy installed on both my laptop and my desktop. The one thing that I did not like was their mail ticker which I disabled. What I like is the ability to make login by email address, work, Family-friends, newsletters etc which kept them all separated or login as admin and see them all. Also the templates for each address in the address book, saved on typing.

You will have to try it for yourself to see if it is worth paying for. If they made a version for Linux I would buy it again, but it's not cost wise for me to upgrade a version to use in wine.

Cyberbleuet

#24 Post by Cyberbleuet »

Evolution is a good alternative to email client....
HP - Laptop UHD 15.6, AMD Ryzen-3 7000 series, Radeon graphics, NVMe 500G, 8G Ram, Ubuntu gnome / debian 12 (Mx-Linux xfce)
Infiniment libre ;)

richb
Administrator

#25 Post by richb »

Cyberbleuet wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:36 pm Evolution is a good alternative to email client....
Isn't it a PIM. Seems like overkill for an email client.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

manyroads

#26 Post by manyroads »

I have to say I left T'bird recently due to its recent problems; most likely due to management changes/ improvements (things like loss of notification, alterations of plugins, and more). I went back to evolution after a 10 year hiatus. Evolution works well on xfce4 for me, although it was not the easiest thing in the world to set up. Nonetheless my 6+GB of email are well managed in evolution. In the end, the options available on Linux seem to work well if a person can define their needs and is willing to evaluate those needs against available software functionality with a critical eye.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

sunrat

#27 Post by sunrat »

I still use Thunderbird and have for about 15 years. Wondering what these "recent problems" are that people mention as it works the same as always here. Resource usage shows 155 MB memory plus 113MB shared memory which is peanuts compared with most browsers.

oops

#28 Post by oops »

sunrat wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 am I still use Thunderbird and have for about 15 years. Wondering what these "recent problems" are that people mention as it works the same as always here. Resource usage shows 155 MB memory plus 113MB shared memory which is peanuts compared with most browsers.
Peanuts for a single user ... not for multi-sessions (heavy browsers are in the same case) ;-)
PS - FI: the latest claws-mail is much better (48 MB).
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=44425#p462981
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

manzana32

#29 Post by manzana32 »

In my super slow netbook I use Mutt with w3m. It runs faster than any other email client that I have tried.
Manzana
--
Laptop: MX 17.1 | i7-4702MQ | 16Gb RAM | Nvidia GTX 760M | 120Gb + 256Gb SSD | 1Tb HDD
Netbook: Lubuntu 16.04 | Atom 1.5GHz | 2Gb RAM | 320Gb HDD

KernSpy

#30 Post by KernSpy »

Thanks towwire for pointing me to the comparison for the .. The Bat. I wonder .. Does that bat have a feature to check and manipulate mail on server? Hi Manyroads, I guess I keep wanting TB to be more like the better working email programs - OE (Classic) Eudora, Claws, Poco, The Bat .. etc.) but it just isn't. There is a good chance I'll try evolution. Thanks! Hi sunrat .. I can't remember now what it is that usually turns me off about TB. If I test it again, I'll make notes. Agree .. oops & clicktician. It pretty much comes down to 3 applications for MX-17.1 & XFCE. Hi manzana32, yes I know there are some who use MUTT. I thought that it (mutt) required the installation of emacs and stuff? I think I'm to lazy & email program (claws like) spoiled to use MUTT.

There is also the newer .. N1
MX-19.2_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio.

Return to “General”