Email programs with MX Linux 17.1 and Linux in General

Moltke

Re: Email programs with MX Linux 17.1 ..

#31 Post by Moltke »

I use Claws mail since I ilke it being lighweight and haven't had any problems to login into my gmail account. I simply followed instructions from gmail. Login to your gmail and go to settings > forwarding and POP/IMAP. In IMAP access select enable IMAP and in number 2 "configure your email client" click on configuration instructions. Open claws mail, set it up according to those instructions and that should be it.

Hope this helps! :happy:
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

towwire

#32 Post by towwire »

KernSpy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:19 pm Thanks towwire for pointing me to the comparison for the .. The Bat. I wonder .. Does that bat have a feature to check and manipulate mail on server?
"the_bat.chm" From the Bat Help:
With The Bat!'s Mail Dispatcher you can easily manage your mail on the server, even with POP3 accounts.
It is especially useful with large messages you are unable to download because your dial-up connection is unreliable.

To dispatch your mail on the server:
1. Go to Account->Dispatchmail on server
2. Choose Only new messages or All messages

The Bat! now connects to your mail server, gets the headers and presents a list of messages with their current flags:
Read
Mark message as read without downloading
Receive
Retrieve message
Delete
Delete message without downloading
Open
Retrieve message open it immediately
You can flag the messages to your needs. Hit <F2> or go to Message->Execute to tell The Bat! to invoke your defined actions.

You can set it up to invoke the Mail Dispatcher every time you check for email. The "chm" is 1.1 MB which I could send to you if you want to PM me an email address. That's if it is not against forum rules.

I don't know how you would read it without Wine installed, maybe someone else could help with that. If you do just remember that the help file is for an older version.

KernSpy

#33 Post by KernSpy »

Thank You ... Moltke. I appreciate all that. I think my last Linux setup on my old desktop .. was Claws. I'm going to be messing around over the next few weeks with 3 old computers. What I decide to keep and use will have - mx-17 / antix installed on them. Guess I'll see what works best on each machine. Probably claws. I'm currently on laptop right now and no email as of yet. Thanks for the instruction details.

I would love to see someone take Claws and build it into a super email program full of features and options. Like - The Bat, Poco-Mailer and so on. That is one project I'd support & donate to.
--
MX-19.2_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio.

KernSpy

#34 Post by KernSpy »

towwire wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pm
To dispatch your mail on the server:
1. Go to Account->Dispatchmail on server
2. Choose Only new messages or All messages

The Bat! now connects to your mail server, gets the headers and presents a list of messages with their current flags:
Read
Mark message as read without downloading
Receive
Retrieve message
Delete
Delete message without downloading
Open
Retrieve message open it immediately
You can flag the messages to your needs. Hit <F2> or go to Message->Execute to tell The Bat! to invoke your defined actions.

You can set it up to invoke the Mail Dispatcher every time you check for email. The "chm" is 1.1 MB which I could send to you if you want to PM me an email address. That's if it is not against forum rules.

I don't know how you would read it without Wine installed, maybe someone else could help with that. If you do just remember that the help file is for an older version.
Thank You! .. towwire
That is a great feature.
--
MX-19.2_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio.

Moltke

Re:

#35 Post by Moltke »

Thank You ... Moltke. I appreciate all that. I think my last Linux setup on my old desktop .. was Claws. I'm going to be messing around over the next few weeks with 3 old computers. What I decide to keep and use will have - mx-17 / antix installed on them. Guess I'll see what works best on each machine. Probably claws. I'm currently on laptop right now and no email as of yet. Thanks for the instruction details.
You're welcome. Looks like you're about to have some real fun :celebrate:
I would love to see someone take Claws and build it into a super email program full of features and options. Like - The Bat, Poco-Mailer and so on. That is one project I'd support & donate to.
I hope no one does. :rolleyes: I do like it the way it is; really lighweight and resource friendly. Besides, it does have some handy features, well at least for me. And you can expand its funtionalities via plugins.

KernSpy

Re: Re: Email programs with MX Linux 17.1

#36 Post by KernSpy »

Moltke wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm
I hope no one does. :rolleyes: I do like it the way it is; really lighweight and resource friendly. Besides, it does have some handy features, well at least for me. And you can expand its funtionalities via plugins.
Good point .. your probably right. I hate bloatware. Agree - New plugins would likely be best for expanding it's functionalities!
--

Moltke

#37 Post by Moltke »

KernSpy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:59 pm
Moltke wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm
Good point .. your probably right. I hate bloatware. Agree - New plugins would likely be best for expanding it's functionalities!
--
You bet! And there's even a papirus theme for it, check it out: https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTe ... mail-theme

KernSpy

Re: Email programs with MX Linux 17.1 and Linux in General

#38 Post by KernSpy »

Hi Moltke .. Another thing / issue that can crop up is modern mail protocols. They seem to want everyone to do web browser based (web) email instead of the old direct email client / program email download. I find it more to my liking and personal. Right now I have Claws installed and I'm also testing with The Bat. TB is for MS-Wins, but it's operating in Wine. It isn't perfect and complains about protocols. It shows a small box with three different protocols listed. I haven't had to really investigate, but will get to it sometime. Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the - papirus theme. I'll check it out. Will get Claws fully setup today.

oops

#39 Post by oops »

Moltke wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:07 pm ...
You bet! And there's even a papirus theme for it, check it out: https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTe ... mail-theme
Thanks for the link, it's a nice theme.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Moltke

Re: Email programs with MX Linux 17.1 and Linux in General

#40 Post by Moltke »

KernSpy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:00 pm Hi Moltke .. Another thing / issue that can crop up is modern mail protocols. They seem to want everyone to do web browser based (web) email instead of the old direct email client / program email download. I find it more to my liking and personal. Right now I have Claws installed and I'm also testing with The Bat. TB is for MS-Wins, but it's operating in Wine. It isn't perfect and complains about protocols. It shows a small box with three different protocols listed. I haven't had to really investigate, but will get to it sometime. Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the - papirus theme. I'll check it out. Will get Claws fully setup today.
I don't know what you mean with "modern mail protocols" is/are there any other(s) than imap, smtp, pop3 and html? I haven't heard/read any about. May I ask why with so many good native linux mail client alternatives are you using one that requires wine to run? To be honest I have never used the bat and didn't know about it till now, however, I've been googling about it and so far am not impressed nor tempted to try it. One of the reviews I read says: " The Bat! does have a learning curve, and could do with a few options less." I'm really happy and satisfied with claws but then it's me. Check that papirus theme it's really nice. I found this good article that lists some native linux email clients https://itsfoss.com/best-email-clients-linux/
oops wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:42 pm
Moltke wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:07 pm ...
Thanks for the link, it's a nice theme.
You're welcome! Yes it is. I'm using it and really like it.

Return to “General”