Email programs with MX Linux 17.1 and Linux in General

KernSpy

Email programs with MX Linux 17.1 and Linux in General

#1 Post by KernSpy »

Email programs via MX Package Installer. Just wondering why "Evolution" isn't included in the installer. I know there are other ways to get and install it, but I'm curious why it hasn't been included? I've read that Evolution works fine with XFCE 4 and is a solid performer.
Last edited by KernSpy on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MX-19.2_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio.

Artim

Re: Email programs with MX Linux 17.1 ..

#2 Post by Artim »

Evolution is available through Synaptic. Just open, enter root password, scroll down, click Install and Apply.

KernSpy

#3 Post by KernSpy »

Yes, I was just wondering why Evolution wasn't included by default in the MX Installer. Not a big deal Anyway, I'm currently looking at Claws with plugins. I have tried thunderbird in the past, but always found something about it I didn't like. I almost never delete my emails and I'm always searching for something. In the windows environment I've always used poco-mailer which has great search features. I guess Claws would be the closest thing to the poco style email program. I've never tried Kmail. I suppose I could try poco in wine and see how that goes. Just going to think about for awhile. Thanks!
MX-19.2_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio.

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

KernSpy wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:45 pm Yes, I was just wondering why Evolution wasn't included by default in the MX Installer. Not a big deal Anyway,
Evolution is available through MX package installer within Stable Repo Tab - the same as within synaptic.
Just use the search field.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

KernSpy

#5 Post by KernSpy »

OK, Thank You! .. fehlix :)

wulf

#6 Post by wulf »

Having used Thunderbird from its early days, I'm now done with it. The latest editions don't run my favourite theme or my favourite extension, but there's a lot of other reasons too. I've happily discovered Sylpheed. Light, fast and no html by default. I really like it. I tried Claws mail, but it froze up twice in one week, so that got the boot as well..

KernSpy

#7 Post by KernSpy »

Hi wulf, well, I guess I should say upfront that this has kind of morphed into a different topic - eMail for Linux. Yes, there is something about/in thunderbird that always twist me the wrong way. I always end up uninstalling it. I'm sure they all have there ups and downs. I tend to like the program / client type email applications. I like the feature (built in) - Check and manipulate mail on server. Lots of configuration options and search options. I'm currently reading about Sylpheed and may try it.

I wish someone would write a new Linux email client / program like one of these .. Eudora, Outlook Express, Poco-mailer, Pegasus .. etc.

List of features:
Spell Checking.
Address book.
Check & manipulate mail on server.
Auto sorting email to designated mail-boxes.
Ability to check any number of accounts - Home & Online accounts.
Powerful search options.
Attachments
Text / HTML options.
etc...
Last edited by KernSpy on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

KernSpy wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:45 pm Yes, I was just wondering why Evolution wasn't included by default in the MX Installer. Not a big deal Anyway, I'm currently looking at Claws with plugins. I have tried thunderbird in the past, but always found something about it I didn't like. I almost never delete my emails and I'm always searching for something. In the windows environment I've always used poco-mailer which has great search features. I guess Claws would be the closest thing to the poco style email program. I've never tried Kmail. I suppose I could try poco in wine and see how that goes. Just going to think about for awhile. Thanks!
the real reason is that no one has ever asked about evolution until now. :p

we will think about adding...
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

towwire

#9 Post by towwire »

KernSpy wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:15 pm Hi wulf, well, I guess I should say upfront that this has kind of morphed into a different topic - eMail for Linux. Yes, there is something about/in thunderbird that always twist me the wrong way. I always end up uninstalling it. I'm sure they all have there ups and downs. I tend to like the program / client type email applications. I like the feature (built in) - Check and manipulate mail on server. Lots of configuration options and search options. I'm currently reading about Sylpheed and may try it.

I wish someone would write a new Linux email client / program like one of these .. Eudora, Outlook Express, Poco-mailer, Pegasus .. etc.

List of features:
Spell Checking.
Check & manipulate mail on server.
Auto sorting email to designated mail-boxes.
Ability to check any number of accounts - Home & Online accounts.
Powerful search options.
Attachments
Text / HTML options.
etc...
Pegasus will not run in wine and I don't think Poco-mailer will either. One client that will run (not free) is TheBAT!, in wine. It will meet your requirements, I have an older version that works great. If you search for it, they have a trial version you could test and a free portable version usb etc. You can set it up in all address in folders or like many users. Note I am not connected to them in any way, just something you may try, don't remember what it costs.

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

Isn't Evolution a very Gnome thing? Does it need systemd as init in order to run? Or is the MX -shim package enough?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “General”