Microsoft building universal open source package format?

dreamer

Microsoft building universal open source package format?

#1 Post by dreamer »

Successor to .msi and .appx and cross platform???

https://github.com/Microsoft/msix-packaging

Some of the benefits touted by MSIX include:

Predictable, safe, and reliable deployment and removal
Auto-updates for non-Store Apps
Windows 7 Support
Package and distribute content beyond Windows (extensible to iOS, Android, MacOS & Linux)
Optimizes disk space (leveraging single instance storage across apps and users)
Optimizes network usage (streaming differential updates at the block level)
OS Managed installations (much of the logic and interface of software installation will now be handled by the operating system)
Windows provides integrity for applications (Tamper protection, policy controls)

https://blogs.flexera.com/application-r ... r-package/

Also: "When applications are installed with MSIX, the application runs in a self-contained virtual space. When uninstalled, it is removed completely and reliably."

handy

Re: Microsoft building universal open source package format?

#2 Post by handy »

The self contained virtual space (jail/sandbox) sounds like one of the things that I like so much about BSD.

I hope MS do a good job, & do what they say. I have so little faith in that company... :(
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Mauser

#3 Post by Mauser »

I wouldn't trust anything Microsoft creates.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

turtlebay777

#4 Post by turtlebay777 »

Hasn't anyone noticed the similarity between the names MSIX and the government spy organisation MI6! That's hardly likely to be a co-incidence.
Last edited by turtlebay777 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

handy

#5 Post by handy »

Mauser wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 pm I wouldn't trust anything Microsoft creates.
They used to make a really good mouse, I can't remember its name now, but it was the best I ever had - had a few of them over the years... It was big & optical, had a cord though.

So I have to give them credit for getting something right. It wasn't software of any kind though... ;)
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Mauser

#6 Post by Mauser »

handy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:27 am
Mauser wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 pm I wouldn't trust anything Microsoft creates.
They used to make a really good mouse, I can't remember its name now, but it was the best I ever had - had a few of them over the years... It was big & optical, had a cord though.

So I have to give them credit for getting something right. It wasn't software of any kind though... ;)
Yes, I had one. That mouse fit my hand perfectly. That is then and not now. Every since Microsoft created the Windows 10 virus they can't be trusted.
Last edited by Mauser on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

duane

#7 Post by duane »

Yeah and I still have a couple of their keyboards.
I like white keyboards and they are getting fewer and farther between.
I quit using windows sometime ago. Last one I used was XP Pro.
Never did trust them just took me a few years to find a Linux I liked.
Once I found Mepis I never went back except for doing taxes and now I just let AARP do them.
Free at last.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Buck Fankers

#8 Post by Buck Fankers »

handy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:27 am They used to make a really good mouse... It was big & optical, had a cord though.
I had one too and I didn't like it. It was too big or clumsy or something, can't recall exactly (which is in fashion lately lol)
Soooo, this ms good job at that time could be somewhat questionable ;-)

uncle mark

#9 Post by uncle mark »

handy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:27 amThey used to make a really good mouse, I can't remember its name now, but it was the best I ever had - had a few of them over the years... It was big & optical, had a cord though.
Microsoft Intellimouse. I still use one. Found several on eBay somewhere several years ago and bought three.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Inte ... 2734366841
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

uncle mark

#10 Post by uncle mark »

Windows provides integrity for applications (Tamper protection, policy controls)
Yeah, right. That makes me feel all better.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Return to “General”