Random lockups - possibly only Intel CPUs

Mauser

Re: Random lockups - possibly only Intel CPUs

#21 Post by Mauser »

boombaby wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:15 am
Hello, Any...

Report: System "freeze-up" happened again yesterday. (Twice). So the libreoffice downgrade was no help.
I had it happen as well once 2 days ago. I think it was from the update. I had to press the power button because nothing would respond. Keyboard and mouse was frozen as well. After restarting it was fine. From my experience these freezes usually happen not so often after an update if I didn't reboot the computer. Usually it would be just a program freeze but in this case it was a complete computer freeze which very rarely happens. Not an issue for me since a reboot corrects the issue. CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-6400T bits: 64 type: MCP
L2 cache: 6144 KiB
Speed: 900 MHz min/max: 800/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 900 2: 900
3: 900 4: 900
Graphics:
Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
v: 4.5 Mesa 13.0.6
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#22 Post by Jerry3904 »

That's my experience as well. Need to log out and back in after an LO upgrade, haven't had to reboot
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

boombaby

#23 Post by boombaby »

Hello, Any...

Just some feedback on the change made to my system to stop these "freeze" ups.

Recall I have now implemented the Intel driver (ie over the linux manager) according to post #19 & #20, and dolphin_oracle advice.

Recall, I am still using MATE (a Gnome derivative). [Edit: I normally use Vivaldi browser.]

REPORT:

No freeze-ups - to this point (ie several days).

Everything feels "faster", more "oiled" up, more "lubricated" - responsiveness is goooord.

There appears to be a downside, which I'll live with it for now, but here are some points...

In this thread...

http://www.mxlinux.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 9&start=10

...I mentioned my freeze problem (post #20) with respect to comments made in another forum (qv). Later, in post #23, other links (qv) showed some Users also related problems with graphic elements disappearing or having strange visual effects - and they were coming to a conclusion that it was the Intel driver under Gnome that was the issue. (Now, I could re-word that and say it was Gnome, the way it interacted with the Intel driver. No matter what, some of the Users were coming to such conclusion.) Their recommendation was to NOT use the Intel driver.

Currently, if this is really resolved BY USING the Intel driver, and I have to choose between having freeze-ups (linked to the linux mgmt system for Gnome) or having NO freeze-ups but elements a little wonky then I choose wonky. (My hard-drive agrees with me.)

[Note: "Wonky" means:- LibreOffice right slider-bar going black (still), and "File" menu drop-down plus one other drop-down having "blackened" elements (now gone); Conky text went wonky (changed Conky theme, so now fixed); a couple of other graphics incidents.]

Perhaps an interesting one is this. Follow me...

BEFORE (ie when I was using the linux mgmnt, not Intel driver) I noticed that on many occasions when I was at a (often-changing) website and cut-&-pasting some elements I would get freezes. After a reboot, and then returning to the website I found that it had updated its webpages. So, it seemed to me, that if the website made changes to its pages while I was working in a sub-page I COULD (but not always) get system freeze. (I couldn't explain that. I thought it might be something to do with "caching" of pages.)

> THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED NOW. (I will need a bit more time to confirm.)

BEFORE (ie when I was using the linux mgmnt, not Intel driver) if I copied a webpage to paste it into LibreOffice I COULD get freezes. It happen a number of times. It seemed to me that it might be related to a number/type of elements in the webpage. (A workaround was to copy as needed but only use "unformatted text" in the paste. A pain, but workable.)

> THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED NOW. (Again, more time to confirm.)

BEFORE (ie when I was using the linux mgmnt, not Intel driver) if I pasted into LibreOffice from a webpage then tried to "undo" I would get freeze ups. Under the new change (ie with Intel driver) what happened in this...

> The "undo" successfully "undid" the paste but reverted to a NON-normal "page view" of the LibreOffice page. I had to click the Page View back to Normal mode. The noteworthy point here is that the "undo paste" worked.

The few graphics hiccups are bearable. Further, this is not the thread to tackle that issue (in my opinion).

Unless I get more freeze ups then I am signing off here. This is not my thread so I cannot sign that off. (My apologies to ChrisUK for sort of "hijacking" the thread, but it sort of happened after I gave you details about my freeze ups on my Intel system. Sorry, mate.)

Regards and thanks,

boombaby
_

boombaby

#24 Post by boombaby »

Hello, ChrisUK...

The solution as discussed in #23 (ie refs to #19 & #20) still holds true. You mentioned your solution earlier. Perhaps you might like to "solved" the thread under your name at the top (for others being referred to it)?

Regards,
boombaby
_

mb6_mx

#25 Post by mb6_mx »

I'm having this same issue on my Ryzen PC.

Stevo
Developer

#26 Post by Stevo »

mb6_mx wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:59 pm I'm having this same issue on my Ryzen PC.
There are several other threads here that discuss Ryzen lockups and possible fixes; just search for "Ryzen". Generally, the newer kernel you can use, the better.

Paul..

#27 Post by Paul.. »

Stevo's right...here's a link to a solution that worked for me and others using Ryzen cpu...https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 16#p471016

Bottom line: Upgrade your UEFI/BIOS firmware (it may also already be there in your current version) so you have access to this option:

AMD CBS ->Power Supply Idle Control->Typical Current Idle...

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

mb6_mx

#28 Post by mb6_mx »

@Stevo , thanks.

@Paul , I checked it out. There was a recent update for UEFI on my board, updated it and applied the setting for Power Supply Idle Control. Thanks for your help. I'll give it a few days and post an update here, I assume it'll be all good.

mb6_mx

#29 Post by mb6_mx »

UEFI update and setting Power Supply Idle Control to Typical Current Idle has resolved the random lockups problem. Thanks Paul.

Return to “General”