4.17 kernel

sdibaja

Re: 4.17 kernel

#11 Post by sdibaja »

I am using Debian, not MX
perhaps we get a different kernel, I don't know.

I have two systems that used 4.17
one is Debian Stretch, with stable-updates sid
the other is Buster
both worked fine with the exception of the slow boot time... from 2 minutes to 4 minutes. not a Big issue as both hardly ever get booted.

so, does MX use the exact same 4.17 kernel as Debian?

PS: after the update with Synaptic they both still default booted to 4.17 so I rebooted with an older kernel and used Synaptic to remove 4.17.
in the process Synaptic wrote a new GRUB that booted properly
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

Mauser

#12 Post by Mauser »

Adrian wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:48 am In the article:
Before you panic or form wrong conclusions, you should know that Speck is not a backdoor. It’s just a not-so-strong encryption algorithm from American agency NSA and it’s available as a module in Linux Kernel.
In the post:
Will the MX team rip out this spyware out of the 4.17 kernel?
So where did you get this "spyware" term out of? It's an encryption protocol for Android and for IoT devices
designed for devices with low computing powers i.e., IoT devices.
Even if it's enabled in kernel is not something that is used when you encrypt something unless you want to use it. Geeeez....
That's not so. Spec is a backdoor. Since when does the National Spy Agency respect our privacy? I got the Spyware term because it comes from the National Spy Agency which have a well know history of spying. Speck is also closed source, how can it be audited?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Adrian
Developer

#13 Post by Adrian »

Spec is a backdoor.
Before you panic or form wrong conclusions, you should know that Speck is not a backdoor.
Which is which, should I believe the article you posted or you?

Adrian
Developer

#14 Post by Adrian »

Speck is also closed source, how can it be audited?
Really?
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... 06a00a28f0

Richard

#15 Post by Richard »

The MX 4.17 kernel is working fine on the T430.
I did place the patch but who really knows?
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Mauser

#16 Post by Mauser »

Adrian wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:23 pm
Spec is a backdoor.
Before you panic or form wrong conclusions, you should know that Speck is not a backdoor.
You believe who you want. I don't believe anything from the NSA is for my own good. The NSA can't be trusted. MX Linux has systemD disabled and rightfully so. When and if the kernel 4.17 is required in MX Linux and if this NSA infection is not removed I will change to a different distro that doesn't have this NSA infection.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

sdibaja

#17 Post by sdibaja »

Mauser wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:41 pm
Adrian wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:23 pm
Spec is a backdoor.
You believe who you want. I don't believe anything from the NSA is for my own good. The NSA Government can't be trusted. MX Linux has systemD disabled and rightfully so. When and if the kernel 4.17 is required in MX Linux and if this NSA infection is not removed I will change to a different distro that doesn't have this NSA infection.
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#18 Post by ChrisUK »

You have to trust the MX Linux devs and the software provided by the MX repos to not provide anything that is compromised... unless you're capable of auditing the code and compiling everything yourself... there's no viable alternative.

You can research and make informed choices, but in the end, you have to choose something. I choose to trust a Linux-based OS more than a Microsoft-based OS.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Adrian
Developer

#19 Post by Adrian »

You believe who you want
Thuthiness, belly thinking... facts don't seem to matter, you point to an article as supporting argument, but that article claims the opposite of what you claim, then you claim that it's closed source and I point to you the open source code.

I guess it's you who believes whatever you want regardless of facts. You also make claims "spyware" without proof, just based on a belly feeling.

Stevo
Developer

#20 Post by Stevo »

MX 17.1 has the 4.15 kernel by default. Nobody is forcing to you to use 4.17, though.

FWIW, CONFIG_CRYPTO_SPECK is disabled in the Debian 4.17 kernel and enabled in the Liquorix 4.17 kernels.

Also, all Linux kernels implement the selinux security module, which derives from work done by the NSA, so you should immediately burn all your computers and Android phones, then move to the desert and live in a cave. /s

Return to “General”