A useful tip

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

A useful tip

#1 Post by ChrisUK »

Not really worth a whole thread, but I thought this might be of use to some...

Sometimes USB flash drives become read-only for no good reason - it happens on just about every Linux distro, and it can be annoying. It happens with every File Manager from Thunar to Caja to Nemo, and has happened for years. Of course, you can simply use the Terminal, as it only affects GUI apps, or you can reboot, or do whatever else is suggested in numerous threads elsewhere.

But there's an easier way that some may not be aware of; you can use Midnight Commander. It's installed on a default installation of MX (and Antix?), it bypasses the bogus read-only state that the File Managers see, and is easier than the Terminal for those that like a GUI (well, maybe not a flashy GUI, but it works just fine). It's also easier when dealing with multiple files/directories.

So next time your USB Stick magically becomes read-only, try Midnight Commander.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

fehlix
Developer

Re: A useful tip

#2 Post by fehlix »

ChrisUK wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 am Not really worth a whole thread, but I thought this might be of use to some...

Sometimes USB flash drives become read-only for no good reason - it happens on just about every Linux distro, and it can be annoying. It happens with every File Manager from Thunar to Caja to Nemo, and has happened for years. Of course, you can simply use the Terminal, as it only affects GUI apps, or you can reboot, or do whatever else is suggested in numerous threads elsewhere.

But there's an easier way that some may not be aware of; you can use Midnight Commander. It's installed on a default installation of MX (and Antix?), it bypasses the bogus read-only state that the File Managers see, and is easier than the Terminal for those that like a GUI (well, maybe not a flashy GUI, but it works just fine). It's also easier when dealing with multiple files/directories.

So next time your USB Stick magically becomes read-only, try Midnight Commander.
Well, good spotted.
I do love Midnight Commander. Type mc in terminal for quick access.
I do always change to lynx-style navigation, so you can use the arrow-keys to navigate within the filesystem quickly. ( Menu -> Option -> Panel.. -> Lynx-style).
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

TauTsar

#3 Post by TauTsar »

Code: Select all

chown username /sdx

wulf

#4 Post by wulf »

Nice tips guys!

bfrost

#5 Post by bfrost »

Love Midnight Commander (and Vim) Useful tip, thanks!

Return to “General”