Just an observation...

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

Just an observation...

#1 Post by ChrisUK »

...and just MHO.

There's a few reasons that MX Linux is becoming more popular, some I've mentioned in previous threads here. Today, I realised another reason that might have gone unnoticed... The majority of threads in this forum each day aren't asking how to fix something, they're package requests or otherwise unrelated to MX being broken.

I put this down to the general stability of the Debian base - Antix - and finally the MX development team. And if you think this is down to Linux in general, go browse some other Distro's forums... even the highly-rated ones.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

turtlebay777

Re: Just an observation...

#2 Post by turtlebay777 »

I agree Chris, especially the one that claims to be the 4th most popular one, which rhymes with tint.

Krissharm

#3 Post by Krissharm »

Could be on to something....
Primary HP Omen 15-ax009na, i5-6300HQ+NVIDIA GTX 950 Running MX17 64 bit.
Secondary Thinkpad x220 12GB ssd msata & ssd sata drive MX17 64 bit
Light child duties Thinkpad R51 MX17/Windows XP 32bit with forcepae and IDE to SATA + Kingston SSD.

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by ChrisUK »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 pm I agree Chris, especially the one that claims to be the 4th most popular one, which rhymes with tint.
TBF, I think a lot of that is down to Ubuntu... their first LTS releases always seem to need the point update to settle down - maybe 18.04.1 will sort a lot of the bugs out.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 pm I agree Chris, especially the one that claims to be the 4th most popular one, which rhymes with tint.
Voldermint?

turtlebay777

#6 Post by turtlebay777 »

Stevo wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Voldermint?
The newer one after the volder.

(Have to be mindful of the T & Cs, not knocking other distros by name!)

(( otherwise we'd be a pair of knockers.))

dreamer

#7 Post by dreamer »

ChrisUK wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:58 am ...and just MHO.

There's a few reasons that MX Linux is becoming more popular, some I've mentioned in previous threads here. Today, I realised another reason that might have gone unnoticed... The majority of threads in this forum each day aren't asking how to fix something, they're package requests or otherwise unrelated to MX being broken.

I put this down to the general stability of the Debian base - Antix - and finally the MX development team. And if you think this is down to Linux in general, go browse some other Distro's forums... even the highly-rated ones.
This is very true.

turtlebay777

#8 Post by turtlebay777 »

It's probably also true that MX (and Antix) are used by those of us who are already Linux users and have basic experience of it, know how to do basic things ourselves. We ask that certain programs that we have used in another system be adapted for use in MX. Like the recent adaption of Waterfox.

alifdalmim

#9 Post by alifdalmim »

Definitely not distro-knocking here! I only discovered Point Linux early this year, after distro surfing since 2016. Maybe they just weren't very popular, but according to user ratings and reviews, they stayed at the #1 spot on DW for ages.

I definitely could not appreciate it more, despite being based on Oldstable by then, the painless computing experience was what I had dreamed of since first using Linux. Now, even when they didn't have a problem with registering new users on their forums, it was absolutely desolate, as if noone was in need of any help at all.

The only comparable experience of such stability for me personally–hardly a seasoned user–has been right here.

Pierre

#10 Post by Pierre »

as even that one is no-longer current, as the Numbers have shifted a bit,
but, at that point-in-time that version could have been No.3 - maybe.
- depends on whose list, that you are following, doesn't it ?

at least, the MX Duo are still climbing up.
:number1:

Return to “General”